Unresponsive USB ports

W33nie

• Members

My computer won't read my SD card with my card reader. It works fine on my parents' computer, but here it won't work...i can't even plug my phone in to transfer files, any outside mass storage device just won't be detected. It works 1/20th of the time, but it's quickly disconnected. It worked fine before, I don't think bad drivers would cause this...

About a week ago, I started my computer and had an error message about USB ports :confused: I unplugged all the cables from the USB ports and it booted up after that, but then the troubles began...

This is the same on the front and back ports

• Members

if you are running windows i would delete all of the USB Root Hub devices under the Universal Serial Bus controllers drill down box in device manager then right click on your computer name/serial number (root device in device manager) and select "scan for hardware changes" have it find them again and make sure you are using usb 2.0 drivers when it reinstalls them.

• Members

As DP says, I'd right click My Computer and select properties, click the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Click the + next to Universal Serial Bus controllers and delete all the controllers, then reboot. This will reload the drivers for all of them. However, it could be as Toolbar says, a power problem. The system provides power to the ports to power small stuff like mice and flash drives. It can get over drawn but SHOULD be able to handle that.

• Members

ive also seen a problem on some memory sticks and USB card readers that the plug part isint long enough to fit all the way in some front side USB ports on dell towers. dell installed the usb ports so they are recessed slightly and the plug part does not go all the way in.

try using not only the front side (easy to get to) ports but try the ones in the back of the comptuer as well.

• Members

Thanks for the help, I tried the software method and the rear ports seem to work. The front ones still don't work...it's a 6 year old case, maybe the usb ports went bad?

That's possible. The ones on the back are built onto the board and are usually a better option.

Archived