harmonics Question

permawave

• Members

Questions about bass guitar harmonics

I've been working on bass guitar harmonics lately, Have a couple of questions for you all.

On my Persuader when I hit the harmonics the notes come out clear and strong, But when I use my Fender P, I can bearly hear the notes and it comes out weak and Blah.

Is it because it works better with active electronics?

Is it because of the pick-ups (P J vs P)?

Both are high quality basses, Strings are both the same age & same material, the Fender is longer scale.

Just wondering, any help is appreciated.

Grazie

Greg

• Members

It comes down to p/u placement. The PJ has a PU closer to the bridge, as you move the PU toward the bridge tone will change. You will pick up less of the fundamental (low part of the sound) and you will get more of the harmonic overtones from the string.

The overtones are there when playing a fretted note, but the fundamental is louder, so more noticeable. Another way to get the harmonics to ring out better it to pluck the string closer to the bridge. This will bring out more of the overtones.

• Members

Nope. Harmonics are always at integer fractions of the string length.

# note re open string string, fret(s) (approximate)

1rst, 1 octave, 1/2 12

2nd 1oct + 5th 1/3 7,19

3rd 2 oct 1/4 5,24

4th 2oct+ maj 3rd 1/5 4, 9, 16, (way up)

5th 2oct+ 5th 1/6 3+, (way up)

6th 2oct +min 7th 1/7 3-, 6-, 10-, 15, 22, (way up)

8th 3 oct 1/8 2.5, 17

How much audible a specific harmonic is depends on pick up type& location(s) and also on the mechanical damping in the neck and body and specifically the neck joint. A P-bass with a single single-coil pick up, a bolt on neck, and not a lot of high end isn't the best choice for a lot of harmonics.

• Members

If you're hitting harmonics, intonation is not a factor. You're only dealing with a vibrating string. :poke:

In fact, the 12th fret harmonic (1st overtone) is the reference against which to measure the intonation. :thu:

• Members

If you're hitting harmonics, intonation is not a factor. You're only dealing with a vibrating string.

I don't know...

|-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --|

^

|-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --|

^

Looks to me like:

There is also the fact that the harmonics will be in different places relative to scale length and how many frets your fretboard has.

Is the correct answer - depending on interpretation of "Different places".

See diagram above: discuss?

Archived