OT: Meat Thermometers

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

So, I have had bad luck with these, and usually have resulted in overcooked pork (a travesty, I know). My last 2 thermometers didn't quite do the job (as I compared them to my mothers digital one, and they were at least 20 off in either direction :freak:)

I figured that I need to get a better one, but I got to thinking about ones that you leave in the meat whilst cooking. (as poking holes in it to check the temp may let the juices out) Any experience with these? What do yall use?

Am I a dumbass? Do I smell funny? Should I just nut up and tell them to eat the damn undercooked chicken?

:dik:

• Members

Any regular, oven-proof meat thermometer like this onewill work just fine. Be sure to get one with an easy-to read temperature scale.

Also, when cooking larger cuts of meat keep in mind it will continue cooking from residual heat even after coming off the heat source. I usually pull my meat 5-10 degrees shy of the optimal temperature.

• Members

Any regular, oven-proof meat thermometer
will work just fine. Be sure to get one with an easy-to read temperature scale.

Also, when cooking larger cuts of meat keep in mind it will continue cooking from residual heat even after coming off the heat source. I usually pull my meat 5-10 degrees shy of the optimal temperature.

reads post....falls asleep

Now if you had used a completely different link, you could have had the win.

• Members

Any regular, oven-proof meat thermometer
like this one
will work just fine. Be sure to get one with an easy-to read temperature scale.

:thu: Thanks. As odd as it may sound, I have had a difficult time finding an oven proof one :confused: Just thought I was swinging blindly. (out of principle I do not go to Bed Bath and Beyond and such)

• Members

I use one of
. Keep in mind depending on the mass of what you're cooking, you need to account for the thermal intertia when cooking to temperature. For example, the internal temperature of a large prime rib will climb 20degF or more after removing it from the oven. A chicken, not so much.

That is fancy.

Yeah I usually try to account for post cooking cooking, but its hard when its reading 120 when its already 140, or the other way around.

• Members

I have one similar to this, and it works pretty good. You don't really need a wireless one. There's a cord between the probe and the thermometer, not shown in the pic.

Meat Thermometer

51gzt2Llr7L._AA260_.jpg

As has already been stated, don't leave the meat on the BBQ or in the oven all the way up until the final temp. Pull it out, cover it with foil, and let the temperature rise off-heat.

I will also add, the temperatures listed on the thermometer, or in the manual, are too high and result in overcooked meat. Check a cookbook for proper temps.

Archived