Do you bring a backup bass to gigs?

Sonic1

• Members

A question from Mr. Mow got me thinking. I've noticed that most guitarists bring backup instraments to their gigs, but maybe not so much for bass players. Lord knows we got extra basses. So do you? If so, is it for a different setup (flats, pickups,droptune) or just in case your primary {censored}s the bed and you don't want to blow a gig?

• Members

I tend to, but I don't know why I bother. I've never broken a string and my basses tend to be very reliable and in perfect working order. I guess I bring an extra just in case of a freak accident? Or if I randomly decide to change things up.

• Members

I didn't in the past, but now I take my 5 string fretless. Perhaps I'll just want to play it or not for whatever song..., but it's there in case I need it. Hell, I could play the entire night on it if the mood hits me. It adds a variation on the sound for most of the songs and gives them a little twist. :thu:

• Members

I tend to, but I don't know why I bother. I've never broken a string and my basses tend to be very reliable and in perfect working order. I guess I bring an extra just in case of a freak accident? Or if I randomly decide to change things up.

about the time i got into this mindset and stopped bringing a spare is when my main bass started {censored}ting the bed on me mid-gig. :idk:

• Members

I had the input jack go open during a rehearsal once and since then, I always take a backup to a gig. I've never needed one at a gig (Murphy's law) but at least I know I have one if something should die. It's also fun to change basses between sets.

• Members

rehearsal- no

Church gigs- almost ever, depends on how far from home it is.

Cover gigs- always, usually have either my SB2 or Jazz as my main, then the other or a Yamaha fretless as a back up/second bass. Last gig I used my fretless for most fo the 2nd half, and I think I'm hooked :)

Archived