Approximate value of a 1964 Precision Bass?

imbuedblue

• Members

I have a Fender Precision Bass made in September of 1964 that I may have to sell due to various financial reasons. It was originally Sunburst but was refinished in Natural back in the 1970s. It is also missing the ashtrays--bridge cover and pickup cover--and has a non-original hardshell case. Otherwise, it's in great shape. Any ideas on how much I can sell this for if it comes to that point?

• Members

of course bro! I collect Fenders and deal with them all the time. Very difficult sell in this market right now. be prepared to go overseas if you want to get what it is worth. Don't worry though, customs forms are easy to fill out.

any pics of the bass? Love to see it!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sorry for the delay, here's photo:

jD3Hw.jpg

I ended up selling it for $3500. I feel a little sick to my stomach, but I couldn't really justify keeping it since bass is not my main instrument. Hopefully the new owner will get plenty of use out of it.

• Members

of course bro! I collect Fenders and deal with them all the time. Very difficult sell in this market right now. be prepared to go overseas if you want to get what it is worth. Don't worry though, customs forms are easy to fill out.

Jeez... I wish I could COLLECT Fender basses ! =(

• Members

The string tree is in an odd place.

Yeah, I noticed that. But the neck is period correct I believe... Look at the dot inlays. The string tree itself looks like a replacement. That is really, really strange.

Nice bass though man. You sold it for a pretty good amount. Not many people are willing to put up that kind of money right now, so feel good. You did well with the sale. IMO

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

wow :eek:

neck 1995.00

body 1895.00

hahaha pots 475.00

bridge 425.00

tuners 595.00

5395.00.. IF the seller would have sold everything for ebay-ad value he made some money.. most of your links says no longer available so who knows.

and remember if people did NOT part out items, the part YOU need may never be available at ANY price ;)

• Members

I don't really see why it is wrong to buy a bass and then part it out and sell the parts individually? It's his bass now that he's bought it. He can do whatever he wants with it.

Its not that. If the person buying off the OP would have made his intentions clear in the first place, as in he planned to part it, then the OP could have made a more informed decision as to whether he wanted to sell it to that person. But, unbeknownst to him, the buyer bought it with full intent of parting it, without informing the OP.

I think that is that part that sucks. If the OP knew the buyer was going to part it, im sure he wouldnt have sold it so readily, or maybe if the buyer had been honest with his intentions.

• Members

Why should the buyer have any obligation to inform the seller of exactly what he/she is going to do with the bass after it has been purchased? The seller and buyer obviously agreed on a price both of them was satisfied with, and that's that. Deal finished. What happens after that isn't the sellers business at all, IMO...

Archived