Thumb placement?

amx13

• Members

Quick question to experimented players...how important is righ hand thumb placement? I'm just starting playing, and I want to avoid developing bad technique from the get-go, but it turns out I feel more comfortable leaving my right-hand thumb resting on the pickup while playing any of the strings (Im a right handed player)

I've watched a couple of youtube videos that claimed that the "floating thumb" should be the best way to do it (moving the thumb to the A string while playing the D and so on) so I wonder what do you guys think, is it personal preference or is it something I should really care about?

• Members

I've watched a couple of youtube videos that claimed that the "floating thumb" should be the best way to do it (moving the thumb to the A string while playing the D and so on) so I wonder what do you guys think, is it personal preference or is it something I should really care about?

Both.

Floating thumb will get you a more consistent sound, because your fingers will have the same curvature no matter what string you're playing.

• Members

Having the thumb resting on the PUP causes the wrist to be at an awkward angle. This can lead to carpel tunnel syndrome etc over time. Also, a different hand position is required, depending on what string is being played. You are wise to be concerned about learning good technique. It is often overlooked, until later on, a person discovers they have CPS. As well as being a safe method, the FT technique has the added bonus of muting the strings not being played. IMO, yes, it is something to care about.

• Members

I don't keep mine in any one position-- I move around based on the sound I want. Look at Jack Casady play-- his right hand is never stationary. I saw him play last month, and when he played one run he started out on a low note with his hand up at the end of the neck, and as he went up tonally his hand migrated back towards the bridge.

• Members

This is interesting--I thought we were supposed to keep the right thumb on the pickup. Coming from guitar, I find that keeping my thumb on the pickup pulls my arm back in an uncomfortable manner, causing tension and even an occasional ache. I'm used to playing a little further up toward the neck--midway between the bridge and the neck joint--and I've been enduring this new position because I thought it was a necessary part of good technique!

So I can float my thumb on the top? That would be great. I remember that some basses used to have a block specifically to anchor the thumb, and I don't believe that it was positioned back by the bridge. I went looking at basses yesterday and none of them had this block, so I suppose it's now out of fashion.

Can someone say more about the floating position? I don't fully understand the pulling of the thumb over the lower strings, which clearly takes it off of the top. Is that to help in muting?

By the way, muting is a huge problem for me. :facepalm:

• Members

This is interesting--I thought we were
supposed
to keep the right thumb on the pickup. Coming from guitar, I find that keeping my thumb on the pickup pulls my arm back in an uncomfortable manner, causing tension and even an occasional ache. I'm used to playing a little further up toward the neck--midway between the bridge and the neck joint--and I've been enduring this new position because I thought it was a necessary part of good technique!

So I can float my thumb on the top? That would be great. I remember that some basses used to have a block specifically to anchor the thumb, and I don't believe that it was positioned back by the bridge. I went looking at basses yesterday and none of them had this block, so I suppose it's now out of fashion.

Can someone say more about the floating position? I don't fully understand the pulling of the thumb over the lower strings, which clearly takes it off of the top. Is that to help in muting?

By the way,
muting
is a huge problem for me.
:facepalm:

Here is a link that explains the FT and it's benefits. As well as being good from a physical point of view ( i.e. keeping the wrist straight, thus avoiding CPS at a later time), it also helps mute the strings not being played.

• Members

Thanks, this is useful! I was thinking of floating thumb as a moveable anchor on the top (what a banjo player and blues fingerpicker does with his ring finger and/or pinky), but this is clearly something very different.

I'll give the floating method a shot, but in the meantime, is it okay to use a moveable thumb anchor? The reaching back to the pickup (I have a P bass) is bugging me.

• Members

Having the thumb resting on the PUP causes the wrist to be at an awkward angle....

Not disagreeing, but the height of the bass (above or below the waist) would also affect the overall curvature of the non-fretting hand and forearm and shoulder, perhaps as much or more than simply resting the thumb on the pickup. Someone should do a study into guitar/bass height and ergonomics.

• Members

Thanks for all the replys guys!...I tried the floating thumb today and found it a bit more comfortable, Maybe its just about getting used to, wich is easy when starting to play :thu:.

Also, I guess some songs would be harder to play that way, so maybe using that technique most of the time would be the best way to go?

• Members

My bass teacher back in 1977 insisted that the thumb had to rest on the pup. He also insisted the Fender Precision Bass was the only bass worth playing.

I've learned better since then. :D

I do the floating thumb for ease of muting and to take stress off my plucking wrist. My main stage bass is a T-bird, so I need all the ergonomic help I can get.

• Members

I thought we were
supposed
to keep the right thumb on the pickup.

There are no hard and fast rules here. Everyone is different, and adopts to their own way of doing things. However, there are tried and tested ( and safe ) ways of physically playing the bass. The FT happens to be one of these ways.

• Members

I alternate between playing with my fingers and using a pick (I know most bass players look down on that, but if it works for Phil Lesh.... Plus I need a pick when using my envelope filter), and I generally keep my thumb on the pickup, but if I'm playing on the D & G strings a lot, I naturally tend toward the floating thumb. But I think it's similar to my asking Derek Trucks how/why he uses his unorthodox finger plucking style, and his response was, "I just found that's what works for me."

• Members

I was just stating that it can't be all that important, at least it never has to me.

If you have being playing for forty years with your wrist at a severe angle, without suffering any major physical problems, then you are indeed one of the lucky exceptions. I have read on other forums how old pros have said if only they knew about the FT when they were starting out, they would not have the hand problems they are now suffering.

Thanks to the Internet, people can learn good all round technique. Whether it's important or not is up to each individual to decide for themselves. Personally, I think it is.

• Members

I hope it's not the case. Sometimes I think a pick is the best way to get the best sound out of a bass, at least your average bass. But I'm a fingers guy, usually resting my thumb just above or on the E string, moving it around as sound requires. When I started out, the general rule was you ANCHORED your thumb on a rest or pickup though. Then I saw Jack Bruce on Saturday Night Live.

Tim

• Members

The general feel I've seen on picks and basses seems to be negative, hence my aside. Perhaps this being a bass forum, there are more enlightened bass players, but a lot of other places, picks are frowned upon for some reason. I know it's not a good source, but comments on youtube videos featuring a pick usually have flame wars about picks, with the controversy inevitably coming from someone who says something snarky along the lines of "real bass players don't use picks" and just leave it at that. So, kinda just covering my bases, especially since one couldn't argue with the need to use it on the env filter ;).

• Members

The general feel I've seen on picks and basses seems to be negative, hence my aside. Perhaps this being a bass forum, there are more enlightened bass players, but a lot of other places, picks are frowned upon for some reason. I know it's not a good source, but comments on youtube videos featuring a pick usually have flame wars about picks, with the controversy inevitably coming from someone who says something snarky along the lines of "real bass players don't use picks" and just leave it at that. So, kinda just covering my bases, especially since one couldn't argue with the need to use it on the env filter
;)

These flame wars about pick V fingers has been going on for time in eternity. I never pay them any attention. As far as "real bass players dont use picks" is concerned, the legendary Carol Kaye has used a pick all her life. Are these people saying she is not a "real" bass player ??? :poke:

Archived