Small amp suggestions

ctrlaltdelete

• Members

I play with a Jazz quartet that has 2 regular gigs in a downtown area. Parking is never available close to the venues... so I've had to park 3 blocks away in a parking garage.

My current "small" rig is a Mesa mPulse 600 with a single 15 cab. Even with a handcart, it is a huge pain-in-the-*** so I am looking for a combo to use for these gigs.

Last Week, I borrowed an SWR LA 15 combo. It was plenty loud enough (just have to keep up with a drummer using brushes and sax) but it was still too heavy and (frankly) sounded awful.

I'm looking for something in the sub-$600 price range that is super lite/small and sounds great. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Members

GK Microbass, either the older 150W MB150's with 12"-ers, or their newer series with the MB200. The MB150's are only 27 pounds, and very compact! If you were in the neighborhood, I say stop by and check it out.

Also, the Roland Cube Bass 100 or 120 may be a good pick for you. Heck, even the Cube 30 has more balls than most would expect.

• Members

GK Microbass, either the older 150W MB150's with 12"-ers, or their newer series with the MB200. The MB150's are only 27 pounds, and very compact! If you were in the neighborhood, I say stop by and check it out.

Also, the Roland Cube Bass 100 or 120 may be a good pick for you. Heck, even the Cube 30 has more balls than most would expect.

This. :cool:

• Members

wow. I read a little about the GKs and the weight is awesome. I don't think i've ever played a GK, I'm going to try to swing by GC this week and try it out.

I have played a Markbass and it sounded great.... just pricey! I liked the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 but also too expensive. I've always liked Eden but their new stuff i getting bad reviews...

• Members

wow. I read a little about the GKs and the weight is awesome. I don't think i've ever played a GK, I'm going to try to swing by GC this week and try it out.

I have played a Markbass and it sounded great.... just pricey! I liked the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 but also too expensive. I've always liked Eden but their new stuff i getting bad reviews...

The GC here has a few GK's, but have no real clue as to their line or their history. MB150's are on Series III, they've been around for what, like 20 years? Well, at least 15. And no one at GC has ever heard of them. Good luck!

• Members

I just got a GK MB 112 combo amp for $330.00. It is light and puts out 200 watts. That should be plenty loud if the SWR was loud enough. I like the tone of the GK way better than the SWR WM 12 that I once had. I think you might be suprised at the bang you get for the buck with the GK. Mine weighs 30 LBS!

• Moderators

I just got a GK MB 112 combo amp for $330.00. It is light and puts out 200 watts. That should be plenty loud if the SWR was loud enough. I like the tone of the GK way better than the SWR WM 12 that I once had. I think you might be suprised at the bang you get for the buck with the GK. Mine weighs 30 LBS!

I have the 1x15 version; it was a little more and the weight is around 34 lbs. It sounds pretty good and the portabilty is great. And it's loud enough for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived