Wrong or not?

EZ3X3

• Members

Here is the deal; you tell me if I am wrong! I worked with this band in the past and on occasions they have come up short with the money. They asked me to help them, out next week, and I asked for a pull list and how much they are going to pay, I

• Members

They might not have known about pay due to poor communication when booking, although it really sounds like they had no intention of paying you as much as you required, and were hoping simply to get the gig finished and then break the bad news to you.

It's not wrong to demand what you're entitled to. If they don't want to pay you what you require to play, they can find someone to do it for free.

• Members

For people like that, with whom I have certain "histories", I charge a "douchebag tax" & only accept payment in full up front. Tax rate goes up depending on how much I don't want to work with somebody.

Short answer to your question: you did right.

• Members

It's a bit confusing to me. I always pay handsomely to sub in for a band. Something about "permanant loss of fanbase/income" is usually mumbled as the reason. What am I missing here? :confused:

• Members

It's a bit confusing to me. I always pay handsomely to sub in for a band. Something about "permanant loss of fanbase/income" is usually mumbled as the reason. What am I missing here?
:confused:

Seriously? That's the reasons they give? Nobody charges extra for bleeding from various and sundry orifices and permanent loss of hearing/talent?

• Members

Seriously? That's the reasons they give? Nobody charges extra for bleeding from various and sundry orifices and permanent loss of hearing/talent?

That's what health insurance is for...... duh!

• Members

Since they would not discuss pay with you, you did the right thing. If they didnt know what the pay for the band was gonna be, they should have told you that when you enquired about pay. Id say you where right given the history and non response to pay questions.

• Members

I think you are entirely justified in your actions, which I would have to agree are probably the best plan.

If they promise you a certain amount, then that is what you get paid - you are being hired on a one shot deal, so you get nothing out of 'building their fan base' or 'keeping their reputation', and if the money at the door comes up short, then your pay comes out of their pockets.

I would consider it acceptable for them to give you the proposition of 'you get paid x share of our takings' in which case you can take it or leave it with the provision that you could either do very well, or very poorly, but at least you know in advance and can decide for yourself.

Whatever they want to say or believe about music being 'their calling' or whatever, it is a business, especially when you are talking about the work required to sub for a band that you have no attachment to. So why bother if they don't treat you well? If your boss at work started screwing about with your pay and doubling back on agreements, you wouldn't be happy then...

• Members

I wouldn't take a gig under those circumstances... I do fill-in work on a semi-regular basis, with pay being agreed upon before I agree to do it... As far as getting paid "up front" because of being shorted in the past - I wouldn't work for someone who shorted me in the past, anyways - and might smack them at the time of being shorted, unless there were some mitigating circumstances that I accepted as being good enough to short me...

Ya done good IMO, OP...

- georgestrings

• Members

Not to be a broken record, but you did right. I'm not sure what your whole situation is, but if you are being hired often to sub, perhaps contracts would be helpful. Not that you would need to legally pursue every dirt bag that doesn't pay, but it will give the impression that you are not someone to be triffled with.

• Members

Not to be a broken record, but you did right. I'm not sure what your whole situation is, but if you are being hired often to sub, perhaps contracts would be helpful. Not that you would need to legally pursue every dirt bag that doesn't pay, but it will give the impression that you are not someone to be triffled with.

Never mind legal pursuit for non-payment or other non-performance. It should never come to that.

Feel free to quote me on this: The very best possible time to find out that somebody intends to screw you over, is when they balk at signing a contract!

Archived