EPIC bass playing!!!

chevybusa

• Members

Hey guys. I've always been a huge admirer of exceptional bassists, and I can't belive I've never heard of these guys...and even though I started on guitar and played bass for a while (as a bassist, not to sound egotistical but I wasn't just the typical guitar player with a bass in my hands, I knew the role of the bass) but anyways here is some bass playing that just {censored}ing blows my mind, it is some of the greatest playing in my opinion that I've come across in quite some time...

I've always had a hard time walking lines, even though I can do it on keys with my left hand, I really haven't mastered it, I can fake it pretty well but it's something that doing really well has really eluded me...

In the first vid, I've never seen any bassist wearing gloves...is this at all common? His playing and tone is phenomenal in my opinion...

[video=youtube;-d7Jd2J92A8]

In the second vid, this guy's playing behind the solo is just mind blowing, I still can't get over how he plays the chords AND simultaneosuly walks a line, and needless to say both of them are just epic...

[video=youtube;2E0-h3-N-6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E0-h3-N-6U

I know fusion isn't everyone;s cup of tea but this {censored} just blows me away, if anyone has any advice on how to play like this or similar music it'd be great if you could share, thanks so much!!!

• Members

Etienne M'Bappe is unbelievable! Got to see him at a fusion festival a couple years ago with McLaughlin & the 4th Dimension, and he blew me away probably more than anyone else on bass over those two days. I only wish I knew how to play like with or without gloves. :)

• Members

Mclaughlin is the guy who got me interested in becoming a musician back in the early and mid 70's. My fave bass player of his in more modern times would be Jonas Hellborg. Theres some vids of him and Mclaughling doing bass and guitar duets along with full band stuff with more recent version of Mahavishnu Orchestra. Laird the original bass player was pretty good to. Heres one of the better vids with laird getting to stand out a little more.

This will be from the timeframe when mahavishnu got me into playing.

• Members

Etienne M'Bappe is unbelievable! Got to see him at a fusion festival a couple years ago with McLaughlin & the 4th Dimension, and he blew me away probably more than anyone else on bass over those two days. I only wish I knew how to play like with or without gloves.
:)

Hellyeah man right on!!!!

• Members

Mclaughlin is the guy who got me interested in becoming a musician back in the early and mid 70's. My fave bass player of his in more modern times would be Jonas Hellborg. Theres some vids of him and Mclaughling doing bass and guitar duets along with full band stuff with more recent version of Mahavishnu Orchestra. Laird the original bass player was pretty good to. Heres one of the better vids with laird getting to stand out a little more.
This will be from the timeframe when mahavishnu got me into playing.

{censored} yeah man!!! Yeah Metallca got me into guitar when the black alubm came out in 91, Kirk's solo in Enter Sandman made me pick it up....my dad made me take calssical lessons for 2 years but I just watned to shred electric, I was a totla metalhead, didn't get into fusion until I heard Al DiMeola, then I heard Birds Of Fire sometime in my late teens and I was just {censored}ing FLOORED by JMcL, I ran out and bought their other 2 albums with the orignal line upa nd it is is hands down some of the greatest music ever written and recorded, andI definitely think JmcL is one of the greatest guitarists and composers of all time....

That's so rad that he got you into it back in the day!!! YEah I've heard Jonas Hellborg and he's another FANTASTIC bassist, just mindblowing!!!!

Yeah that vid of One Word is one of my all time favs, Laird was the man, wasn't as "showy" as other bassists but man could he nail a groove, I think he was the perfect "cement" for MO...it's funny, as great as the whole composition and all the solos are, my fav part is the end, the syncopated Am Pentatonic run over the A5, G5, F#5, G5, with Billy Cobham's slamming beat banging crashes, and they way they each take turns bending the note at the end of the phrase, then they all join in together, and to me it's just {censored}ing EPIC....one of my all time fav MO moments...keep on rockin dude!!!

Archived