Stingray Classic?

chunky-b

• Members

When you say classic I assume you mean the Leo Fender and not the Ernie Ball. I have owned them both. I first had the Ernie Ball version and really loved the bass. But then I inherited the Leo Fender from a former bandmate when she passed away. The Leo Fender stingray is "woodier" sounding and it lacks the mid tone control. I sold off the Ernie Ball soon after getting the Fender. I just liked the tone better. Even with the extra mid control the Ernie Ball was a little too muddy with flatwounds while the Fender has a more rounded sound. A drawback and a plus is the strings are through the body on the Fender version and not all music stores will carry the longer strings that being said the strings through the body add sustain and fullness. I had my Fender appraised and it was priced at $1900, it had some oxidation and the finish wasn't perfect, but one in really mint condition could go for $2500. If the price he asks is within your budget definately go for it.

• Members

After Leo Fender sold Fender to CBS he had a 10 year no compete clause. When the 10 years was up he started MusicMan at first building amps and later the Stingray bass as a refinement of the P-bass. He later sold the company to Ernie Ball dwho made some changes in the stingray; i.e. changing the preamp from bass/treble controls to bass/mid/treble also Ernie Ball fitted the neck with a 6 bolt bolt whereas the Fender version had a 3 bolt neck as well as changing the bridge from string through to a hard tail with the strings on top. So when you look at your co-workers bass look for those three points. If it is an Ernie Ball the value is $800 - 900. The one in the Youtube is a Leo Fender version.

• Members

After Leo Fender sold Fender to CBS he had a 10 year no compete clause. When the 10 years was up he started MusicMan at first building amps and later the Stingray bass as a refinement of the P-bass. He later sold the company to Ernie Ball dwho made some changes in the stingray; i.e. changing the preamp from bass/treble controls to bass/mid/treble also Ernie Ball fitted the neck with a 6 bolt bolt whereas the Fender version had a 3 bolt neck as well as changing the bridge from string through to a hard tail with the strings on top. So when you look at your co-workers bass look for those three points. If it is an Ernie Ball the value is $800 - 900. The one in the Youtube is a Leo Fender version.

Sorry, but I believe you are incorrect. If you watch the video, you will here him explain how the Classic Stingray takes the good points from the Old Style and the New Style and combines them into one. That is why they call it the classic. This is an Ernie Ball Musicman but it is built more like the older ones than the current ones, hence the nomenclature "classic"... Guess I'll just make up my own opinion when I play it again since no one on HCBF seems to have any real input. If I like it, I'll rock it.... But thanks for the history lesson... :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/music-man-classic-stingray-4-electric-bass-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/music-man-classic-stingray-5-electric-bass-guitar

The best of the old and new with unmistakable Music Man craftsmanship.

The Music Man Classic StingRay 4 Electric bass delivers the old school vibe you love with the flawless craftsmanship and incredible feel that sets Music Man basses apart. The StingRay 4 is a tricked-out Classic Collection StingRay bass that is just as breathtaking to look at as it is to play and hear.

In the Music Man StingRay 4, fat, powerful tone with great snap and articulation meet the stunning beauty and smooth feel of the finished figured maple neck. For old classic vibe with modern custom shop elegance, the Music Man Classic StingRay 4 is unsurpassed.

Features

Solid ash slab body

Finished figured maple neck with 7-1/2" radius bird's-eye maple or rosewood fretboard

Through-body stringing, bridge saddle string mutes

Classic skinny frets and nut

Single passive alnico humbucker with active 2-band preamp

Chrome truss rod adjuster wheel and battery cover

6-bolt neck

• Members

I really like the Classic Series. These are definitely new instruments made by EBMM, not the old pre EB basses from 76' - 83'.

As for a price, I'm not positive, but I think they normally go for anywhere around the $1200 mark. I've seen them go for more and less.

That's cool... I've looked at them on and of for a while and if I was going to acquire one, I'd rather it be one from a friend where I know the history instead of a stranger on ebay! Waiting for him to give me a price!

• Members

I really like the Classic Series. These are definitely new instruments made by EBMM, not the old pre EB basses from 76' - 83'.

As for a price, I'm not positive, but I think they normally go for anywhere around the $1200 mark. I've seen them go for more and less.

Yeah, they're really nice - and typically go for $1k - $1.4k on the used market...

- georgestrings

• Members

the new "Classic" line was launched about 2 years ago. different from regular Stingray in that they have a 2-band EQ (vs. 3), finished gloss neck (vs. unfinished wax/gunstock oil), and string mutes, slab body (not contoured), and some unique colors. There may be other differences, but those are the ones I remember. They have put out some with flame maple necks and some with some really beautiful birdseye maple, if you're into that kind of thing.

• Members

I was talking to the owner about it yesterday at work... He hasn't set a price yet. Wanted to look online and see what they are going for... In the course of the conversation he mentioned a friend's band that is looking for a bass player. Hmmm.... Don't know if I am up for a serious cover / party band or not, but I'd like to be. Don't know if I have the time, or the chops for it. I have seen them play before and have met the drummer (works in local music store).

Archived