Take a perfectly good bass and yank its teeth out

Freeman Keller

• Members

Six string Ibanez bass. Perfectly good frets

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32449382}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32449383}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32449384}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32449386}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32449387}[/ATTACH]

mwah

• Members
I'd like more exposition. Such as' date=' what's the soldering iron's job? And how are the wood "frets" smoothed down?[/quote']

Frets come out a lot easier and with less fretboard chipping if they're heated. It also helps release any glue that might have been used in their installation.

I can't answer how Freeman did it, but I would go belt sander/palm sander/radiused caul lined with sandpaper.

• Moderators

My thought was that heating the frets would cause them to expand, making them more snug in the groove and therefore harder to extract. Shows what I know. And I thought about using a sander, but thought it might cause the wood to splinter, leaving gaps instead of a smooth fingerboard. I couldn't think of a way to take most of the wood sticking out down close to the fingerboard, to a point where sanding wouldn't pose a risk.

• Members

Its pretty standard to apply heat to the frets when removing them. It does a couple of things - first, many techs use a little bit of glue when they put them in, glue lubricates the slot and can help to hold it it - particularly with ends that go over binding. Most glues will release with a little heat. The heat also helps activate any oil that might be in the wood. The little pipette has water in it, again, its seems to help release the fret with the minimum damage to the board.

Standard fret slots are 20 to 23 thousands wide - the material that I filled them with is 0.020 rosewood purfling. I gave the owner the option of ebony for a black line, maple for a light line or rosewood to match the board - he chose the latter. One thing that was a bit of a hassle is that the CNC that cut the slot followed the radius of the fretboard rather than making a flat bottom from one side to the other. I had to take a little fret saw and flatten that bump in the middle so the rosewood would sit in the bottom of the slot.

he rosewood was glued into the slot with CA, I just took a sharp chisel and went across each fret starting in the center and paring it off towards the end. Scraping and sanding with a radiused block (Ibanez basses are apparently 16 inch) and, bingo.

I had done a couple of fretless conversions before so I knew the basics of setting them up, but that took almost as long as the conversion itself. I ended up with about 8 thousands of relief, nut clearance basically on the board (4 thou or so) and 12th fret action around 0.070. An interesting question is where do you set the intonation on a fretless instrument? I fingered it on the nut side of the 12th fret line and had to bring all of the saddles to almost their most forward position. Makes sense, tho.

• 2 months later...

Archived