Beginner bass and amp, prefer used / learning bass

LiveMusic

• Members

What to get? My brother and I keep toying with the idea of one or both of us learning bass. Country, rock, folk, blues. Both of us play acoustic guitar. We have no knowledge of what to buy, any suggestions? I'd prefer to buy used because it seems one could buy a combo for not much. I dunno... less than $300 total for both together. Craigslist, FB marketplace, seem to have quite a selection, just don't know what to look for. If I had my druthers, it would be good enough to jam with buddies but also to do small gigs in case we want to. I have a PA. Just want to get started, one down the way if still interested, could buy better if needed. I assume a 4-string will suffice! Other than winging it, playing by ear, we don't know where to start, I assume could find some youtube lessons, etc.

• Members

Squier, Ibanez, Peavey, Epiphone are all decent brands for bass, Fender and Peavey for amps. I see you're somewhere in Louisiana. I checked out the New Orleans CraigsList at random and found several basses and a couple of amps that will do for noodling at home, for example a Yamaha RBX170 bass and Fender Rumble 40 amp for $100 each. You're not going to find a gig worthy rig for what you're able to pay but I'd be inclined to spend maybe a third on a bass, a third to half on an amp, and the rest on some starter lessons.

• Members
Squier' date=' Ibanez, Peavey, Epiphone are all decent brands for bass, Fender and Peavey for amps. I see you're somewhere in Louisiana. I checked out the New Orleans CraigsList at random and found several basses and a couple of amps that will do for noodling at home, for example a Yamaha RBX170 bass and Fender Rumble 40 amp for $100 each. You're not going to find a gig worthy rig for what you're able to pay but I'd be inclined to spend maybe a third on a bass, a third to half on an amp, and the rest on some starter lessons.[/quote']

Thanks for reply. You say can't find something gig worthy at this price range... why? What would it take (money-wise) to get a gig-worthy rig, I can bump up the budget. I just prefer not to go overboard when I don't know the longevity of this 'project.' And what characteristics make a rig "gig-worthy?"

• Members

It depends on the gig, naturally, acoustic jazz vs. metal, size of the venue, etc., but you're going to need at least a couple of hundred Watts and a single 15" speaker or a pair of 10". That means a beefy combo or, preferably, a separate head and cab. You're not going to find an amp like that *and* a bass for your budget unless you get very lucky. You can gig with a fairly inexpensive bass but you need more amp than $100 or $200 can buy. I suggest doubling your current budget and trying to stay under it. As an example, again on the New Orleans CraigsList, I found a Hartke 1X15 cab for $125 and an Ampeg head for $300, and a fairly beefy GK combo for $300. Either of those plus, say, $150 for a bass and case/gig bag puts you at $450-$575 before you spend anything on lessons or accessories. Again, this is a quick and dirty search and you may have better luck. Pawn shops typically have trouble getting rid of amps and sometimes sell them cheap. Hope this helps.

• Members

You can't go wrong with Cort. As far as an amp there are some decent Fender options for not too much. I reckon maybe $400 would get both. Don't skimp on power. I reckon 100 watts is minimum to avoid distorting at decent volumes.

For playing (and especially if coming from acoustic guitar) the biggest thing for me is to turn the amp up and play with a light touch rather than driving the strings too hard.

Also remember less can be more. Keep it sparse and remember that the job is to move people, not show them how great you are at fiddly stuff.

• Members

Let me ask a dumb question lol... A couple of situations come to mind... when bass players play small gigs (coffeeshop listening rooms to even louder small honky tonks), do they rely on the volume from the amp, or also line out to the PA? Why line out to the PA, is it for volume or to allow a sound man to achieve a proper mix? If the latter, do you turn down the amp volume and let the PA do the work? Sorry!

• Moderators

In a small room...there usually isn't a sound person. Most bass amps will have a direct out xlr jack to run into the PA, but often the FOH in small rooms can't handle a lot of bottom unless they have a sub woofer. When I do small duo gigs with a bassist, they tend to bring a small amp with maybe 100W and a 12"...or less. Now once you add drums, all bets are off, and the bass has to be 'felt' onstage and in the room, so it is "more power to the shields, Scotty!".

So much improvement in bass amps over the last decade or so with class D amplification, you can get a bass head that will fit in a briefcase with room for your tuner, cables and a sandwich...

• Members

I would also look at Guitar Centers used stuff online. Since you are both guitar players, I recommend short scale bass. Your learning curve would be less by going short scale because the neck is closer to the length of a guitar neck.. I disagree with the post that says you can't find an inexpensive bass to gig or play small venues with and that goes for amps too. I picked up a nice Fender Rumble 1x15 100 watt for $100 from GC. If neck length is not an issue, I picked up a nice Ibanez SRX400 on Craig's list for just under $100 and that bass can really rock as well as slap. Not to mention it looks retro cool in martini olive green with a white plaid pickguard, it kinda looks like a 63 Danelectro guitar. That or a new Ibanez TMB100 for right at $200. I got one of these in soda pop blue and I'd gig or small venue it. If I close my eyes I have difficulty telling the difference between it and the Fender Mexican Jazz bass I play at my music lessons. specially when you add good strings.

• Members

Thanks for the info, I never knew about short scale bass guitar. That sounds interesting, as I have been playing acoustic guitar 53 years! Is this one any good? I am open to whatever. I'd rather buy used but that's not much money for new.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/GSRM20-Mikro-Short-Scale-Bass-Guitar-Red-1275776901340.gc?pfm=item_page.rrt1|MultiItemPersonalizedViewCP#productDetail

I would also look at Guitar Centers used stuff online. Since you are both guitar players' date=' I recommend short scale bass. Your learning curve would be less by going short scale because the neck is closer to the length of a guitar neck.. I disagree with the post that says you can't find an inexpensive bass to gig or play small venues with and that goes for amps too. I picked up a nice Fender Rumble 1x15 100 watt for $100 from GC. If neck length is not an issue, I picked up a nice Ibanez SRX400 on Craig's list for just under $100 and that bass can really rock as well as slap. Not to mention it looks retro cool in martini olive green with a white plaid pickguard, it kinda looks like a 63 Danelectro guitar. That or a new Ibanez TMB100 for right at $200. I got one of these in soda pop blue and I'd gig or small venue it. If I close my eyes I have difficulty telling the difference between it and the Fender Mexican Jazz bass I play at my music lessons. specially when you add good strings.[/quote']

• Members

I don't have any experience with the Ibanez Micro but I took a Squire Bronco bass and put about $80 in parts to upgrade it and its turned out to be a great short scale bass for not much money. It's my go to bass for gigging. Everyone that hears it asks to play it. Once they play it they ask to buy it or ask what it would take for me to make them one like mine. I have a total of $140 give or take in it. It has a very nice build quality but Fender used cheap but easily upgraded/replaced parts in it. In pictures it looks cheap but it feels and looks good in real life.

• Members

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about scale length. You're on a budget and the main priorities are cost and condition. Stick with used. Most of what you're going to find will be normal scale. Find a bass you can afford that's either in playable condition or can be put in playable condition cheaply. My bass was cheap but had some dings and needed new tuners. It was a gigging musician's backup and he'd treated it like crap. It didn't take much to put it in shape. If the neck length proves challenging, tune down and play further up the fretboard.

A Class D combo like daddymack recommended is a great idea. The GK I mentioned is one of those but if you're lucky you'll spend $250, probably closer to $300, even used. You're going to hear about "Class D Watts" but that's bull. A Watt is a Watt. You're also going to hear about great eBay deals but those don't account for shipping, and bass cabs are big and heavy and costly to ship. Forget eBay unless the item is local or shipping is reasonable. GC ships to a local store but I don't know how much they charge for shipping on large, heavy items.

• Members
I'd make sure you try out a short scale and a standard before you try. I've always found short scales to lack punch' date=' but it is also what I learned on. [/quote']

After adding a SD hot rails pickup to my Bronco bass, It has all the punch I can imagine anyone would ever need. The op is going for the least expensive good quality bass they can find. With the same mod I did on mine I'm thinking he would be happy with it based on his requirements. I agree that they should go to GC or somewhere like it to try out all of the bass guitars regardless of neck length to see what works best for them. Then if they like one they tried, see if GC has a used one in good or better condition. I'm in Texas and the most I ever spent to ship a bass or guitar purchased from the East or West coast was around $28. Now shipping a bass amp of 100 watts or more with a 15 inch speaker would be cost prohibitive for most. But I have found good deals on used guitar and bass amps in their local stores and was able to try them out before buying. That and GC has a great refund policy on used stuff.

Short scale bass guitars make the change over from guitar easier and since the OP and/or his brother are both trying something new, I stand by what I said.

Not everyone needs a 30-50 year old Gibson or Fender or a piece of art type of boutique guitar. The OP asked for recommendations for an inexpensive reliable good sounding bass and that was mine. I understand that everyone has their own tastes and so far I have not found a better bass.....for me.

Peace

• Members

I think you took my comments and ran with them. Where did I say ANYTHING about vintage instruments or that the OP needs to spend lots of money?

I've just found that short scale basses are not for me as the reduced scale length reduces the tension (punch) and I have large hands. I'm glad you love yours.

• Members

Please accept my sincere apologies about that blurb I was kind of PTSD'd up when I wrote it. Damn I hate these meds. Translated to human terms: I agree to disagree on a few points. It was not you in any shape or form. I should have waited till I had a little more control before I came in here to type.

• Members

Might want to keep an eye on bass amps/basses that come up on shopgoodwill.com From time to time have outstanding deals, Oh, 4 strings for sure. I came to bass as new way to get frustrated in playing. Got Cort 5 string as were out of 4's. That low B messed up my head as far as my programmed neck navigation from guitar kept my brain didn't want to accept 5th fret low string came out E and not A.

• 1 year later...

Archived