No announcement yet.

Affordable new American-built basses from Fender

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable new American-built basses from Fender

These were just announced today... the new Fender American Performer series...

Click image for larger version

Name:	fenderamperformerfactorylifestylegroup-1ebecc87.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	32409583

https://www.harmonycentral.com/news/...es-from-fender

USA-built Mustang basses are now back in the Fender lineup...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Cool. I have a highway one p bass in my garage. It seems pretty decent. I should dust it off sometime
    Dillybar 13 july 2008.
    "I do not expect you to lift one of your lazy fingers to find the proof that I am right."

Comment

some people may not think a $1200 price tag is affordable...I'm jus' sayin'...
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
        Thanks. That was my first thought since I don't. Twice the price of a Mexican made alternative but twice the quality is doubtful.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
          Thanks. That was my first thought since I don't. Twice the price of a Mexican made alternative but twice the quality is doubtful.
          I hear ya, but 50% of the cost of an instrument can be that last 10%- 20% of detail in the manufacturing.

Is it worth it? Depends on the player.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I think these are American Special basses with a different name. Looks like all the Precision's have the added bridge pickup. I could do without it and make the bass $100 less.
            Last edited by Perfessor; 12-11-2018, 07:32 AM.
            Dennis Hopper's retirement plan, except Dennis is dead
            Retired and likin' it a lot!
            Regards. Rimmer

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
              see Law of Diminishing Returns
              Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
              Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
              You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
              You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull

Comment

For an American-built instrument? That's actually a pretty reasonable price IMO... YMMV.

As someone pointed out in the American Performer guitar thread in the Electric Guitar forum, they paid ~$800 back in 2010 for a MIJ Mustang, and now, eight years later, the new (and improved?) American built guitar models are only ~$200 more.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

That may well be true, Phil, but a reasonable price and an affrodable one are not necessarily the same thing.
                  "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                  -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                  -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by lug View Post
                    see Law of Diminishing Returns
                    I'm aware of it, which is why I mentioned double the price not yielding double the quality.
                    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                    Member of the Schecter Society
                    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

For an American-built instrument? That's actually a pretty reasonable price IMO... YMMV.

As someone pointed out in the American Performer guitar thread in the Electric Guitar forum, they paid ~$800 back in 2010 for a MIJ Mustang, and now, eight years later, the new (and improved?) American built guitar models are only ~$200 more.
                      well...the rate of inflation being what it has been since the great recession, that is still a 25% increase in price...for a USA 'budget/affordable' instrument, rather than a first quality MIJ?
                      Doesn't sound equitable to me, jefe....but then again, I don't give a rat's patootie where an instrument was made as long as it plays well and sounds good.

Next up...will the tariffs ruin MIC guitar and amp prices?
                      Last edited by daddymack; 12-11-2018, 08:28 PM.
                      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Next up...will the tariffs ruin MIC guitar and amp prices?
                        I know at least two pro audio manufacturers who have complained to me about the increased cost for steel... I suspect MIC gear prices will be increasing if the trade war continues.

Indonesia is not a part of that though, and a lot of budget builds are being done there now too.

- George Carlin

Comment

• daddymack
                          daddymack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          and Viet Nam, like the Epiphone Century guitars...I too hear things from folks I know in the industry, buyers mainly, complaining that price are edging up almost weekly on certain commodities, like electronic components and hardware.

I just looked up the specs on the Fender site. You have to put the name in the search bar since they don't appear in photos on their site yet. That said, they have medium jumbo frets which are much longer lasting than the tall narrow jobs on the other new basses. I think the price is fair considering you get a jazz bridge pickup as well, but like I said earlier I'd rather have the bridge pickup omitted and pay $100 less.
                        Dennis Hopper's retirement plan, except Dennis is dead
                        Retired and likin' it a lot!
                        Regards. Rimmer

Comment

Working...
                        X