Affordable new American-built basses from Fender

Phil O'Keefe

These were just announced today... the new Fender American Performer series...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fenderamperformerfactorylifestylegroup-1ebecc87.jpg","data-attachmentid":32409583}[/ATTACH]

https://www.harmonycentral.com/news/new-american-performer-series-guitars-and-basses-from-fender

USA-built Mustang basses are now back in the Fender lineup... :eekphil::cool2:

• Members

Thanks. That was my first thought since I don't. ;) Twice the price of a Mexican made alternative but twice the quality is doubtful.

I hear ya, but 50% of the cost of an instrument can be that last 10%- 20% of detail in the manufacturing.

Is it worth it? Depends on the player.

some people may not think a $1200 price tag is affordable...I'm jus' sayin'...

For an American-built instrument? That's actually a pretty reasonable price IMO... YMMV.

As someone pointed out in the American Performer guitar thread in the Electric Guitar forum, they paid ~$800 back in 2010 for a MIJ Mustang, and now, eight years later, the new (and improved?) American built guitar models are only ~$200 more.

• Moderators

For an American-built instrument? That's actually a pretty reasonable price IMO... YMMV.

As someone pointed out in the American Performer guitar thread in the Electric Guitar forum, they paid ~$800 back in 2010 for a MIJ Mustang, and now, eight years later, the new (and improved?) American built guitar models are only ~$200 more.

well...the rate of inflation being what it has been since the great recession, that is still a 25% increase in price...for a USA 'budget/affordable' instrument, rather than a first quality MIJ?

Doesn't sound equitable to me, jefe....but then again, I don't give a rat's patootie where an instrument was made as long as it plays well and sounds good.

Next up...will the tariffs ruin MIC guitar and amp prices? :snax:

Next up...will the tariffs ruin MIC guitar and amp prices? :snax:

I know at least two pro audio manufacturers who have complained to me about the increased cost for steel... I suspect MIC gear prices will be increasing if the trade war continues.

Indonesia is not a part of that though, and a lot of budget builds are being done there now too.

• Members

I just looked up the specs on the Fender site. You have to put the name in the search bar since they don't appear in photos on their site yet. That said, they have medium jumbo frets which are much longer lasting than the tall narrow jobs on the other new basses. I think the price is fair considering you get a jazz bridge pickup as well, but like I said earlier I'd rather have the bridge pickup omitted and pay $100 less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What next? Squire Broncos? LOL No wait... they're made in Indonesia....

P.S. I love my Squire Bronco with SD hot rails, GFS Music man style 4 saddle bridge, tuners, tape wound strings, newly dressed/leveled frets, & bone P bass nut. It's my fav bass out of the five I still have because of the fast SS neck and the great sounds from the upgrades.

(Squire Bronco, Ibanez TMB100, Ibanez SRX400, Dean Acoustic, & Vision Jazz Bass)

Archived