Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quiz: Can you name these basses by looking at just their headstocks?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz: Can you name these basses by looking at just their headstocks?

Here's another fun little quiz from the nice folks at Reverb.

https://reverb.com/news/quizz-pouvez...-a-leurs-tetes

PS It's a much harder quiz than you might be thinking... I know my basses pretty well, but I only got 10 out of 12 correct.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

9/12
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

No way I'm gonna be able to tell the year of a bass from the headstock.
      "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
      -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
      -- Theodore White

Comment

6/12

Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
        Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

11/12, largely by pure guesswork. The slotted head thingie threw me completely.
          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
          Member of the Schecter Society
          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I did badly
            Result: 50%

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
              No way I'm gonna be able to tell the year of a bass from the headstock.
              The trick / secret is in the decals, and the overall shape, which changed a bit over the years.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
              - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
              - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
              - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

58%, also largely by guessing. The only ones I was sure of were the Guild and the aluminum necked Kramer.
                This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

75% There were a few there I never saw before. Others like the choice between 4 different Music Man? You knew it was a music man but who would know the exact year and model besides a store owner, I mean really.

Others were very easy to spot simply because I owned those basses before.

Comment

I didn't even finish. I got the P-Bass correct. That's all that matters, Right? .
                    HCBF Mesa Brigade Member #2

Comment

• DeepEnd
                      DeepEnd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      True, unless you play a Rickenbacker or some other outlier bass. (No offense, isaac42.)

• isaac42
                      isaac42 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      None taken.

Got 9/12. And that's only because I owned about 6 of them in the past.
                    My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
                    Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

Working...
                    X