Daisy Rock Heartbreaker Bass

isaac42

• Moderators

Played a show last night. As it was the day after Valentine's Day, I broke out my Daisy Rock Heartbreaker bass. Short scale (30"), single split P-type pickup. Easy to play. Neck is both fairly thin and narrow. Flat wound strings. Sounded good, as P-type bass should. Audience liked it. One dotty old woman asked me if I'd made it myself. Poor old thing is losing it.

One thing I learned - should have known, but it never occurred to me before - is that the Heartbreaker has two more frets than my usual Rickenbackers. We were playing "Bad Case of Loving You". Second verse, I went up to the highest fret marker for that little dee-doo thing, and I was a whole step too high! Sounded bad, and a few people laughed at me, but that's okay. Fixed it in the third verse.

Tomorrow, we play the Sweethearts Ball. I'll bring the Heartbreaker and the Blackheart as well. The Blackheart has roundwound strings, so they won't sound exactly the same.

The Heartbreaker:

612Yffa6jZS._SY524_.jpg

The Blackheart:

6e5454850b46b4dd0469e1f10c33e44e--the-daisy-bass.jpg

• Moderators
You've got a bass for every occasion' date=' don't you? I'll bet you have a green one for St. Pat's, and an orange and black one for Halloween, and a red and white striped one for Christmas, etc. ;) Must be nice.[/quote']

Not quite that many, but I do have quite a few. Way too many, according to my wife!

I have a green one. It's a Rickenbacker 4004Cii, and it's my main bass with one of the bands I play in. No orange and black, no red and white stripes. For Christmas, I go with the red Ibanez and the green Ric!

• Moderators
How is the balance on those when they're hanging from a strap?

Not nearly as good as you might expect. They are short scale, so there's not as much neck, and the headstock is small, but there's still a fair amount of neck dive. A leather strap would probably have helped.

• Members
Not quite that many, but I do have quite a few. Way too many, according to my wife!

I have a green one. It's a Rickenbacker 4004Cii, and it's my main bass with one of the bands I play in. No orange and black, no red and white stripes. For Christmas, I go with the red Ibanez and the green Ric!

Tell your wife I said you need a Halloween bass. ;) At least a black one with an orange strap (or maybe orange with a black strap).

• Members

:D

Time to call Henry and get yourself a real short scale bass guitar.

Close enough.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"BASG15HCCH1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg","data-attachmentid":32167387}[/ATTACH]

Good enough for Jack

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Jack_Bruce251014-616x440.jpg","data-attachmentid":32167386}[/ATTACH]

I actually have one of these, but it's an older one with no powered preamp in the pick up. I have a coupe of preamps that make it shine.

[video=youtube;CfffmBWCry0]

[video=youtube;i80YSXFFZzY]

[video=youtube;BQ1TUQoQkN0]

• Moderators
There's probably a lot of leverage from the neck, especially with the body being so short and the strap button so far "behind" the bulk of the neck.

Are they pretty light in weight?

Yes, quite light.

The lack of an upper horn increases the leverage, as you say, and contributes to to the neck dive. In addition, it shifts the bass to the left when hanging from the strap. For me, that makes them less comfortable to play than I'd like.

• Moderators
:D

Time to call Henry and get yourself a real short scale bass guitar.

Close enough.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tBASG15HCCH1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t69.1 KB ID:\t32167387","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32167387","data-size":"full","title":"BASG15HCCH1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Good enough for Jack

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tJack_Bruce251014-616x440.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t51.9 KB ID:\t32167386","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32167386","data-size":"full","title":"Jack_Bruce251014-616x440.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

I've tried one once or twice. Didn't care for them. Extreme neck dive, and there's a reason they call that neck picup a mudbucker.

And who's Henry?

Yes, quite light.

The lack of an upper horn increases the leverage, as you say, and contributes to to the neck dive. In addition, it shifts the bass to the left when hanging from the strap. For me, that makes them less comfortable to play than I'd like.

That's the thing about less conventional shapes - they may be "fun" but they're usually not the most comfortable instruments ergonomically.

I'm old and grumpy enough now that I expect fun AND comfort! :mad2::eek2::lol:

• Members

Not nearly as good as you might expect. They are short scale, so there's not as much neck, and the headstock is small, but there's still a fair amount of neck dive. A leather strap would probably have helped.

Obviously you've forgotten the official HCBF fix for this. Does "Dead Cat Balancer" even ring a bell in the fuzzy noggin of your's?

• Members
Nope. Frayed knot.

Damm you must be getting old. I believe it was Sudgebass69 that proposed that by hanging a dead cat off the tail end of your bass, you could achieve a much better balance. As the dead cat wears out, a replacement can easily be found on the local roadways. Those who do not remember their history are doomed to repeat it. :(

Archived