This guy must think there's one born every minute

DeepEnd

• Members

There's a guy selling a generic parts P-Bass on the local (St. Louis) CraigsList, trying to pass it off as an Adler custom bass. Since they're not common--I've never been in the same room with a real Adler--he might succeed if the right sucker comes along.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Adler.jpg","data-attachmentid":32141663}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Adler_HS.jpg","data-attachmentid":32141664}[/ATTACH]

• Members
Some poor kid who doesn't know any better is probably going to get ripped off by this idiot. :(

Makes me mad. :mad2:

If he'd just sell it up front as a parts bass it wouldn't be too bad. He's asking $250 and someone might even give him close to that--depending on the parts it might be worth it--but this is a bit much.

• Members

Maybe we shouldn't think the worst of people and jump to a conclusion he was trying to rip anyone off. In general I find most musicians to be fairly honest. I'd need to see the listing but this may simply be a misinformed owner. Things don't add up for someone trying to scam others.

First, I couldn't find much on Adler Custom guitars or basses. I may have thought them more popular or mixed them up with something like Adams or Alembic. The best I can find is the Basses were built by a Luthier named Artie Adler of Adler Guitars and is no longer in business. Even the AdlerGuitars.com web page is for sale. The guy may have gone out of business or died but he doesn't seem to have made any instruments for years.

From what little I found he mostly made neck through instruments, but apparently worked on anything according to Facebook page. His logo doesn't seem to have a valid trade mark nor is it listed on any manufacturers sites I could find. I suspect his basses were all hand made, not manufactured.

Its likely the word "Adler" that sounds so familiar to me because of the wood type, not because this Luthier sold allot of instruments. His bulls eye logo may not have even been copy written, or he was a single man operation who simply didn't make many instruments.

Second, The bass posted does look like other parts casters. Thing is the Luthier basses sell for big bucks. This guy is selling his bass for $250 which is the going price for many clones. Doesn't seem to me like he's trying to to rip anyone off at that price. In fact the brass nut adds a little to the cost.

I suspect he the owner may think its a "Custom" Adler bass, but that may be because theres so little information on the expensive ones on the net.

Third, That bass may be one of many Chinese imports with no history you can follow. Those cloners will throw any name on the headstock just to draw sales.

4th. It doesn't have a bulls eye A on the headstock. It has the word Adler written out on the headstock. The names may be the same but the logo's aren't. Doesn't seem to me like its being used to scam anyone to me. Maybe if the bass looked like one of the high cost models or had a similar headstock.

Add to that the decal is gold. That's not a cheap black and clear decal someone is likely to have made for them. The gold needs a special printer. If you were going to make a real Adler logo, why wouldn't you do a bulls eye.

This is where being knowledgeable and uninformed depart. If someone is going to spend a premium on a logo, why would you use a logo that doesn't match the premium basses.

If you were going to build a parts caster and try and deceive someone why would you use an Adler logo, and in fact the wrong Adler logo too. Makes no sense.

5th. If you wanted to rip someone off on a Fender clone wouldn't a Fender logo make the most sense?

Lastly, I suspect he bought it as is and its simply a cheap knockoff made in China called Adler. Its actually a smart name for the bass if you ask me. Its a popular wood for instruments every guitarist knows, and its close enough to a defunct premium bass builder. The owner may have actually thought it was made by the same company as that built the bulls eye Adler's, and since that Luthier did work on anything it may in fact be one of his basses. The guy may have been starting a budget line of basses. Without more information we simply don't know.

Again I'd need to see the Craig's list ad but I see allot of gear sold on sites like EBay where people are selling things they simply don't know allot about. This guy is more likely to have looked on EBay and found the only listings available for that name. He may knot know how often or how many basses are given different names in China. You can go to the Alibaba auction site and buy instruments in bulk and have any name you want put on them.

• Members
. . . I'd need to see the listing but this may simply be a misinformed owner. . . .

. . . I suspect he the owner may think its a "Custom" Adler bass, but that may be because theres so little information on the expensive ones on the net. . . .

. . . Again I'd need to see the Craig's list ad but I see allot of gear sold on sites like EBay where people are selling things they simply don't know allot about. . . .

You may be right. I suspect it's a bit of both: He doesn't know what he's got and he's hoping nobody else does either. FWIW, the post just before yours shows a pic of a real Adler bass and the logo is clearly visible. A quick web search for "St. Louis Craigslist" followed by a search of "For sale" for the term "Adler" turns up exactly one ad: https://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/d/adler-custom-bass-guitar/6449963901.html. Something you could have done if you really wanted. You'll note he says the bass has been "rebuilt" with a new pickguard and Wilkinson tuners, which likely wouldn't be necessary on a custom bass.

• Members

I thought those tuners looked new.

He may have called it custom instead of calling it modified which may have been more appropriate.

The term rebuilt is one of those terms that are highly subjective too. Its not like there is allot to rebuild on a slab bass.

Maybe he needs to hang on HC more where such terms are used accurately.

Still, its not like he's over charging for it, just trying to break even on what he paid for it. The Tuners, Pick guard, and Nut likely cost him $50 with shipping on EBay. All are good upgrades for a low end bass and it likely plays well with those replacements. The bass itself is actually selling for $200 when you consider the mods.

I'll cut the guy a break on the wording of his ad. When you consider the market is over saturated with a gazillion Fender Basses and clones, there simply isn't enough bass players to buy them all. Heck I probably couldn't find a buyer for my 25 year Squire II Precision in mint condition at that price.

I also give buyers a bit more credit for doing their homework knowing what they're buying. Clones and dealing with them are a way of life now. I think anyone looking for a Custom Adler going to have to dig deep to find one for sale. Its one of those niche market instruments pursued by someone who actually knows what they're looking and likely to spot this one for what it is like you have.

• Members
Perhaps the dude's name is...Adler? BTW, I named a Breedlove concert acoustic Gibson, just to say I've played one good Gibson in my life.

Could be. Perhaps I should name my guitar "Martin" or "Gallagher" or "Collings" just for grins. ;) Yeah, that could work...

Archived