Epiphone Thunderbird set up

Boogie63

• Members

Howdy Everyone, I play the electric bass, I tried to make set up my own Tbird .The three screw of the bridge are confortable and the action seems right,I dont know how to adjustment the truss rod or dont make it? thanks for answers

a47767c4b3fa599c517fdfc3ddf563c8.thumb.jpg.c0fa62d6eb7f4b453fece050ec326ccc.jpg

0839fdee82e5d3ab2a4fa1dc4da9c1fe.thumb.jpg.da5e65b79927fc9533277843a1db6bfe.jpg

dc0e741dcc860b86631ce7c1bae74c6a.thumb.jpg.9e9072ec68f55b838b2782516b59a14e.jpg

• Members

I can't tell much from your pics but it's not that hard. Borrow a capo if you don't own one, and put it behind the first fret. Press a string down at the last fret. Find a place that's about halfway in between, say the 8th fret, and slide a feeler gauge between the string and the fret to see how big the gap is. Fender recommends 0.010-0.014". Rickenbacker recommends zero relief but personally I disagree based on the geometry of a vibrating string. In any case you don't need much and if you do want more or less relief turn the truss rod adjustment a small amount, 1/4 turn or less, and let the neck settle before you measure again. If it won't turn leave it alone. Remember too that if you make a change in relief the bass's action will change too.

• Moderators
I can't tell much from your pics but it's not that hard. Borrow a capo if you don't own one' date=' and put it behind the first fret. Press a string down at the last fret. Find a place that's about halfway in between, say the 8th fret, and slide a feeler gauge between the string and the fret to see how big the gap is. Fender recommends 0.010-0.014". [b']Rickenbacker recommends zero relief but personally I disagree based on the geometry of a vibrating string[/b]. In any case you don't need much and if you do want more or less relief turn the truss rod adjustment a small amount, 1/4 turn or less, and let the neck settle before you measure again. If it won't turn leave it alone. Remember too that if you make a change in relief the bass's action will change too.

I agree, and I play Rics almost exclusively.

Another factor is how hard you play. The harder you play, the more the string vibrates, and the more relief you need. Players who hew to the "play softly and let the amp do the work" school need less relief than those who really dig in.

Archived