Metal bands with great bassists

blackcats

• Members

Hello everyone,

My last semester at university is coming to an end soon, and I want to get back to practicing my bass. I used to be quite proficient, but I've gotten rusty since most of my time goes to my studies.

more: dự án sun group láng hạ

I'm looking for suggestions for metal bands with great bassists, particularly ones who use a lot of slap/pop, to practice to. Just so there isn't any redundancy, the ones I already know of are:

-Mudvayne

-Havok

-TesseracT

-Battlecross

any suggestions besides the ones above are welcome, though ones that use slap/pop are preferred (so please don't recommend Dream Theater or BTBAM)

more: gia xe fortuner 2017, xe tai 2 tan tera, gia xe altis 2017

• Members

I must be getting old. I don't recognize any of those bands. I've played metal in a few bands but the Bass is usually one of the most boring component musically in that music. Metal requires high energy and its highly regimented and has very little improvisation. There have been a few songs that have broken those rules there but the bands that did them had usually been out there for a long time.

When music is too easy to learn its just as easy to loose interest for me. The music that takes me a long time to learn sticks with me longer because its always a challenge to play. I suppose you could say that about many types of music. I played allot of Blues rock growing up. Many songs had 3 to 6 chords in the progression but you at least had room to improvise.

I get board stiff playing the same notes every night. I don't even play much cover music any more unless its just getting together with old band mates. Many of those bands we'd redo the musical arrangement and do our own renditions that fit the players to keep it unique and interesting. Playing covers was always like going to school. You eventually learned what you needed and either graduate from playing others music or stagnate.

I started writing my own music back in the 70's. I'd play covers when working with new players but we always wound up playing our own stuff. It always went over better too because you put more into playing your own stuff compared to other peoples music. You have a huge amount of control in how that song is going to sound when you write your own bass parts and you aren't limited to any genre.

I know this doesn't help you much but you want to learn slap bass, Id definitely seek out the musician's, musicians who do it best. I'd take a couple of Stanley Clarke, learn some if his riffs, adapt them to the Metal music you play and melt some peoples faces with it. They don't have to know where you got those riffs from, you'll just blow they're doors off when you show them what its all about.

• Members

In Flames, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility and such impressed me when I went through a Scandinavian phase. But it was more for how fast they played and stayed on point than soloing or lead ability on bass. Sorry to not be of more help, but 'Dream Theater' is all I had too :p.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived