Can you pass this classic bass identification test?

Phil O'Keefe

• Moderators

9/12... the Peavey? Who cares...and the Gibson violin? Never saw one before, and the Hofner...who cares what its name is...I mean really.

The jazz bass shown, in 'full dress'...who keeps all the ashtrays on their bass? I knew it, but obscuring the pups was a cheap shot for the uninitiated

• Members

I got 10 out of 12. I had to give an educated guess on 4 of them. I got 2 of those right and 2 wrong. The rest I knew right off.

The Hofner were tricky. I've seen the various models before but never paid attention to the actual model differences.

Same thing on the Epiphone. I thought it might have been a version of the Wilshire. The models changed over the years.

This Newport

1964EpiphoneNewportBass.jpg

and Embasy simply uses different pickups. The body and neck look the same

Epiphone_Embassy_Bass_web.jpg

Wilshire guitar has the same shaped body.

WornWilshireBody.jpg

• Members

10/12. I missed the model number of the Hofner, and of course the Epiphone, I've never seen either of those basses before. I benefited from a couple of lucky guesses, figured the Rickenbacker was a '4001' because it has the ancient horse shoe magnet pickup, and caught the "trick question" Telecaster bass, which is actually very close in design to the original version of the precision bass. I knew the EB-1 was Gibson's violin bass, and that the EB-0 had the SG style body.

10/12. I missed the model number of the Hofner' date=' and of course the Epiphone, I've never seen either of those basses before. I benefited from a couple of lucky guesses, figured the Rickenbacker was a '4001' because it has the ancient horse shoe magnet pickup, and caught the "trick question" Telecaster bass, which is actually very close in design to the original version of the precision bass. I knew the EB-1 was Gibson's violin bass, and that the EB-0 had the SG style body.[/quote']

The only one I blew was the EB-0. I said it was an EB-3. In my own defense, I honestly thought I saw the second small pickup on it... but when I looked again, I saw that it wasn't actually there.

To be honest, I made a lucky guess on the Epiphone. The Ric was easy (as you noted, because of the horseshoe magnets), as was the Hofner (because Beatles), but they did try to be tricky with the P-Bass / Telecaster bass thing...

I was impressed - IMHO it was a harder test than most of those types of things usually are.

Archived