Can anyone ID this?

badpenguin

• Members

Sorry if this is a repeat post, it disappeared on me.

Hey all,

Saw a post on the local CL, very similar to the one Deepend showed in SL. "Buy this Peavey bass, get a second bass free!" The price.... $120. Ok, I have owned Peavey basses in the past, and swore of off them like cheap tequila. Yeah, they work. Yeah, they get the job done, but you always wake up going, "WTF am I doing with this?" He said that the free bass needed a set up,. and that the volume pot was shot. So I offered the guy $40 for the "free" bass, and hot dang, he went for it!

Neck thru, EMG pickup, (Which is why the volume pot was "shot". the battery was dead!) Brass bridge, Gotoh tuners, and a nice 24 fret board. The truss rod nut was stripped, which was a JOY to remove and replace, and the electronics looked to have been done by a monkey. The weird thing about it, which is why I kinda question it being a homemade instrument, is the body's curve. VERY reminiscent of either the Ibanez Ergodyne, or early Spector basses. Which is cool, it fits my expanding gut. (Don't get old children!)

Anyone seen anything like this before? [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31957410[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31957411[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31957412[/ATTACH]

• Members

Ok, let's see if these show up. And no, not a Peavey in anyway shape or form. Had Peaveys before, and this ain't one of them. It plays well. :lol:

And a reasonable alternative to not growing old..... can it involve a TARDIS?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31958849[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31958850[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31958851[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31958852[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31958853[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Looks like a custom build to me. The horns being thin, fat headstock, No logo, curved body, the finish, Bridge, Strap buttons, Pickup type, knob placement, The body isn't symmetrical, all add up and look to be home made neck through build to me.

It would even be hard for me to imagine all those oddities as being a heavily modded bass either. It really looks like someone had a raw neck, glued sides and top on it and did odd things to it like the knob and strap placement. No one puts a strap button where the darn strap keeps falling off on a factory build. Someone would wind up suing them for broken toes when it lands on they're foot.

My Vote is a home brew. Of course it may play and sound great. I have one that's not too different I built except its a bolt on neck. It wound up being the best live basses for playing with fast fingers I've owned. Much lighter them my precision too.

• Members

At first I thought it was an Aria SB-1000 or similar model, but that's definitely a Westone headstock. My best guess is that original sides were sawed off :confused2: and new "wings" were glued on. Based on the tapered laminations toward the neck joint, that's my best guess now.

• Members

Well, thank you one and all for your possible suggestions. I believe that it's a home made bass, because after ripping out the pickup, ( I REALLY hate EMG's) I discovered there was no ground wire to the bridge. Just about every guitar I have worked on, had at least the hole drilled for one. It still plays like a dream however.

Archived