Observation about bass line in Tighten Up

andyville99

• Members

So yesterday, for some reason the old song Tighten Up by Archie Bell & the Drells just popped into my head (used to play it in my band back in the 70's). One thing I noticed yesterday when listening to it is that the bass line doesn't follow the roots of the chord progression. The chords are F#maj7 and Bmaj7. The bass line starts on F#, but then lands on C# (primarily) during the Bmaj7 chord. I never really noticed that back in the day, but now I'm wondering how the heck that was arrived at and how it sounds "ok"?? Wouldn't you think the line being played during the Bmaj7 chord would be rooted on a B rather than a C#? I'm certainly no musical genius, so if someone can enlighten me on this it might let me sleep tonight! Thanks!

• Members

Its a complex topic that can take years to understand. I took classes in music theory and composition back in high school that helped me understand allot of it. You had to first learn the acceptable laws in music then you learned all the ways of breaking those laws. A musician whos had no formal musical education is more likely to think music is a free form art. It can be that too but its unlikely you'd be able to actually compose elevated compositions involving many of the elements in a predictable way to achieve targeted results.

The one thing I can say to answer your question and give you some understanding is music, or any art for that manor doesn't have to have everything spelled out. Some of your best art has elements purposely removed. Why? Because those missing elements are filled in by the person listening to the music.

This isn't unique to music either. Film and stage producers have used it for has as long as there has been entertainment.

Example, ever see 1963 movie called The Haunting? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

Not once during the movie do you ever see the demon but the way it was filmed made it one of the scariest classics ever made. Ask anyone whose seen it and they will all be able to conjure up what they think they saw but was actually never seen. This is because the minds of the viewers fill in the missing pieces.

By the way, they did a remake and added in all kinds of actual demons and the movie would up being a flop- why? Because the things that spike your emotions are within you not without.

Its the same with music. Take two notes in a chord and leave out the note that follows the melody and the mind will make that expected note the most dominant thing they think they hear. Its really no different then a magician making you think there is something under the hat where there is actually nothing but empty space.

Every great musician who knows his craft, knows the importance of silence. Its the canvas for the paint.

Its the silence - between the notes that's deafening, not the notes themselves.

Missing notes within a chord created by multiple instruments can be heard just as clearly by those listening as if they were present.

Think of it as writing with an eraser instead of using a pencil tip. Instead of the manuscript being a page being white paper and having notes added to it think of every line on the staff filled in and you erase the notes of the melody leaving all the other notes there. Its what's missing that is heard by the listener, not what's obviously there.

Its a reverse logic method of tricking the mind into hearing something that isn't actually there, much like simple optical illusions can fool the eyes.

You think you see a spiral here - Your mind is tricked into thinking its there but look closer. Those are actually circles. Its the black and white dots that make you think you see a spiral. Sound has its own bag-o-tricks that can be used as well. The first step is identifying the trick with the ears. Other steps will follow. You are now one step ahead of those who cannot recognize the aural illusions so its a sign your hearing has become more critical.

fetch?filedataid=122202

• Members
It happens to me occasionally. I'll be working out the bass line for a song and the note that sounds ''right'' isn't in the chord or the melody but it still sounds ''right.''

This happens to me every time I play. I never get call backs either. It's all very curious.

Archived