Tennis elbow

isaac42

• Moderators

My arm hurts. Has been for about two months. Makes it hard to play. So here's the message I sent to all of my bands today:

So here's the thing. Saw the physical therapist this morning. He confirmed the diagnosis of lateral epicondylitis, tennis elbow. He said that if I don't rest it so that it can recover, there is a chance that scar tissue could develop and the condition become permanent. He suggested that I'd do well to stop playing bass, at least until it heals. Given that, I think I should not accept any new bookings until this heals. I won't leave you hanging. I'll play all of the shows we have on the books, unless you replace me. That's your choice, and I won't be offended either way.

• Members
My arm hurts. Has been for about two months. Makes it hard to play. So here's the message I sent to all of my bands today:

So here's the thing. Saw the physical therapist this morning. He confirmed the diagnosis of lateral epicondylitis, tennis elbow. He said that if I don't rest it so that it can recover, there is a chance that scar tissue could develop and the condition become permanent. He suggested that I'd do well to stop playing bass, at least until it heals. Given that, I think I should not accept any new bookings until this heals. I won't leave you hanging. I'll play all of the shows we have on the books, unless you replace me. That's your choice, and I won't be offended either way.

Bummer..Stop playing bass, and use your goodelbowed hand to play maybe synths with 1 hand? it's what I did when I couldn't fret for a year...

• Moderators

I actually did that today. At the usual Thursday rehearsal for The Deep Woods Band, I played my organ. Some bass, some chords, some melody. I'm way out of practice, but with some work, I could become a left-handed keyboard bassist.

• Members

Just learn to play left handed, lazybutt. I do.

:D

​Another alternative is to get a cortisone shot. I know 2 people that this helped long term and 2 that it didn't. I'd ask the doc about it.

• Moderators

Isaac, I can totally relate...I had to have surgery two years ago on my left elbow to remove a bone spur which was hindering my playing; I was recently diagnosed with tendonitis in my right forearm, and the doctor suggested that I won't get better unless I stop playing, but also recommended a 'Band-it' brace to relieve some of the pressure. The brace works fine when I'm not playing, but is too restrictive of motion... but I won't stop playing, and so I am having to limit my right arm use in general, which has taken some time to work out.

• Moderators

Even if it works out that I can't play bass anymore, I can still sing. Might be able to play guitar, and probably can play some keys. So I'll still be a musician.

It would be ironic if I had to stop playing bass, though, considering that I just bought my first new instrument in decades. And, on the plus side, the arm seems to be responding well to the rest and ice.

• Members
Even if it works out that I can't play bass anymore, I can still sing. Might be able to play guitar, and probably can play some keys. So I'll still be a musician.

It would be ironic if I had to stop playing bass, though, considering that I just bought my first new instrument in decades. And, on the plus side, the arm seems to be responding well to the rest and ice.

You'll always be a musician smiley-happy

• Moderators
Any explanation as to why certain elbow booboo? You play right handed so your left hand frets? My injury was a torn tendon in a fretting finger

Plucking too hard with the right, I suppose. Too plucking hard!

• Members

Highly likely that it's just a short term stress injury to the tendon (tendonitis).

Ice it (ice in a towel) 2 or 3 times a day for 10 ~ 15 minutes and DON'T USE THE ARM if you can. The swelling needs to be subdued before the healing can begin, and the ice + non-use of that tendon is the key to that.

A week later, you should be 90 percent recovered, if not 99 percent.

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm icing it several times a day, and trying not to use it. No gigs this past week after Thursday, so that's good. Downside is that I'm losing gigs, which affects my income down the road, assuming the arm heals.

• Members

The problem with these kinds of injuries is they get worse with age. Aging slows the healing process. What takes you a week to heal in your 20's takes months (if ever) to heal in your 50's and beyond. My upper spine is permanently damaged from a lifetime of playing guitar. Not a day goes by when I'm not in pain, even when I'm not playing much.

Best advice I can give you is get on a vitamin regimen, if you aren't on one. You cant heal if your system doesn't have the raw materials. Musicians tend to neglect their health and without the proper nutrients you develop chronic problems. For joints and ligaments you definitely want to take Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM, but there are many other vitamins that react with these so a good A~Z should be taken daily.

Extra vitamin C can speed healing wounds. It facilitates the growth of the connective tissues, which speeds up the process of healing wounds.

If you drink or smoke, you may also want to take extra B12. Its an essential water soluble vitamin that is lost from the system very quickly.

B12 can contribute to memory loss; boosting mood, energy, concentration and the immune system; and slowing aging. It is also used for heart disease, lowering high homocysteine levels (which may contribute to heart disease), male infertility, diabetes, sleep disorders, depression, mental disorders, weak bones (osteoporosis), swollen tendons, cancers, and skin infections.

Some people use vitamin B12 for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease), multiple sclerosis, preventing the eye disease age-related macular degeneration (AMD), Lyme disease and gum disease. It is also used for ringing in the ears, bleeding, liver and kidney disease, and for protection against the poisons and allergens in tobacco smoke.

• Moderators

Haven't touched a bass since last Thursday. (Okay, I did pick one up and pluck a few notes on Monday, but that was just to try out a speaker.) Ice several times a day. Exercises prescribed by the physical therapist. Feeling better. We'll see how I feel after Saturday's gig.

Archived