Epiphone Thunderbird, non-buyers remorse

One_Dude

• Members

I have never played a Thunderbird, neither a Gibson nor a Epiphone. While attending a local guitar show last Sunday, I had the chance to buy a Epiphone Thunderbird at a good price and passed it up. Now I'm wishing I would have bought it, but you snooze you lose. I could try one at Guitar Center, but the closest one is about 40 miles away and I don't get there very often. I live near a relatively small town and have never seen a used Thunderbird in the local stores that I haunt, so have not been able to play one locally either.

So here's my question: I have several (wife would say way too many) basses and I am wondering what the Thunderbird sound can be compared to. Here is a list of some of my basses: Gibson Ripper, Peavey T-40, Epiphone EBO, Epiphone Viola, Fender Jazz and Precision, G&L Precision, Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar, and a recently acquired Hohner B2A. There are others in the stable, but I don't think any of them has a unique sound.

Can someone who is familiar with the Thunderbird sound compare it to any of the basses I have listed. Perhaps you can tell by my list that my preferred sound is a heavy thump with a bit of an edge on it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

One_Dude

• Moderators

I have played a T-bird, but it's been a few years. I'm sorry to say that I can't recall what it sounded like, nor even whether it was a Gibson or an Epiphone (Gibson, I think). What I do recall about it is how incredibly uncomfortable it was for me to play. Of course that doesn't mean that it would be for you. Some players love them, and they do look awesome. I wanted to love it, but I just couldn't.

Archived