Are Carvin/Kiesel basses any good?

brikus

• Members

I'm after a PJ bass that can nail the low-middy PB sound, but with some added versatility. Given that you can pretty much make your custom bass with Carvin/Kiesel, can these nail that sound in a satisfactory manner? What's your experience with these?

Thanks for your feedback, guys. :thu:

• Moderators

I have an 88-89 Carvin LB-75. I wouldn't say that it has that sort of sound at all. Much more of a clean, full range sound. Mine has passive pickups, M13B stacked humbuckers with single coil switches. A newer model, perhaps with active electronics, might be able to get that sound.

• Members

You could simply drive over to the Carvin Showroom and try out a PB4 and a PB5.

But, for you, that would be a 9000 km drive from Paris, with a major road hazard on the way called The Atlantic Ocean. sm-suprised

maxresdefault.jpg

11525_showroom_4_1.jpg

11525_showroom_3_1.jpg

11525_showroom_2_1.jpg

• Members

I know, I've been there, some 13 years ago...with also a visit of the factory with Frank Kiesel himself as our guide...having connections helps... :cool:

But yeah, now my only option is to have one sent to me and see if it works...so I better gather some feedback and experience from people who tried their basses.

• Members
...my only option is to have one sent to me and see if it works.

I don't doubt for a second that the instrument itself is excellent. But, I might add that as far as Carvin guitars and basses go, the Carvin pickups themselves can be hit or miss in their design. If worse comes to worse, you *may* need to swap out pickups.

Otherwise, I would trust the build quality, quality of materials, and the design of any of their guitar or basses if the specifications such as scale length, fretboard radius, fret type / size, bridge + tuner hardware selection, and control layout are what meet your requirements. In your case, if I recall correctly, you will need a left handed instrument. Carvin makes lefty instruments all the time, so, they would be an excellent choice.

By the way, every once in a while around here (H-C), I will make the snide remark of referring to an electric guitar or bass as a "pickup holder." Well, guess what, they really are just pickup holders! scared.gif

• Members

I don't doubt for a second that the instrument itself is excellent. But, I might add that as far as Carvin guitars and basses go, the Carvin pickups themselves can be hit or miss in their design. If worse comes to worse, you *may* need to swap out pickups.

Otherwise, I would trust the build quality, quality of materials, and the design of any of their guitar or basses if the specifications such as scale length, fretboard radius, fret type / size, bridge + tuner hardware selection, and control layout are what meet your requirements. In your case, if I recall correctly, you will need a left handed instrument. Carvin makes lefty instruments all the time, so, they would be an excellent choice.

By the way, every once in a while around here (H-C), I will make the snide remark of referring to an electric guitar or bass as a "pickup holder." Well, guess what, they really are just pickup holders! scared.gif

I too don't doubt about the build quality...I bought a guitar from them back in the day (yes, in LH, your memory is correct ;) ), and it still holds perfectly well.

But back to my bass purchase project it's more about the "voice" of the instrument, in other terms mostly the pickups, I'm concerned. I would avoid having a bass sent to me if I have to swap the pups afterwards.

And what about the G&L SB-2 BTW...any experience with that one?

• Members

... it's more about the "voice" of the instrument' date=' in other terms mostly the pickups, I'm concerned. I would avoid having a bass sent to me if I have to swap the pups afterwards. [/quote']

Maybe you know already this, but, there is a Eurozone Carvin dealer at:

http://www.station-musicshop.de/epages/64398533.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64398533/Categories/Category2/Electric_Bass/Carvin_Bass

Below are links to what are presumably the standard P/J pickup set for the PB4 and PB5. These are passive pickups that can be used as direct drop-in replacements for Fender parts.

The Carvin/Kiesel J-Bass pickup, from the description, sounds like a slightly overwound J-Bass pickup, which is not much of a departure from a bog-standard Fender bridge J-Bass pickup and likely the perfect match for their Carvin/Kiesel P-Bass pickup.

However, from the description they give for the Carvin/Kiesel Split Coil Pair (SCP) P-Bass pickup, it sounds like they are using either a steel blade + bar magnet on bottom arrangement or, more likely, a long-edge-charged bar magnet that has one long edge pointing up at the strings with the magnet wire coiled about bar magnet in the usual manner as if it had a row of cylinder magnets. Of course, each of the Carvin/Kiesel SCP's two pairs will be RWRP in relation to each other as normal for standard P-Bass hum-cancelling capability.

As they state at Carvin/Kiesel, you won't experience the slight bit of volume drop with the Carvin/Kiesel SCP pickups that you will get when you aggressively bend a string on a stock Fender P-Bass. So, that's a plus. The Carvin/Kiesel SCP pickup is probably slightly bigger and bolder sounding than a vintage P-Bass. Something like this might offend a dye-in-the-wool vintage nutjob, but probably nobody else -- including YOU.

http://www.kieselguitars.com/products/J99

j99.jpg

http://www.kieselguitars.com/products/SCP

scp.jpg

• Members
And what about the G&L SB-2 BTW...any experience with that one?

I've test driven all of the G&L (US-made and Tribute models) over the years. This would be the M-2000, the L-2000s, JB, MJ, and SB basses at one point in time or another -- probably the L-2000 model the most. Actually, it doesn't matter much because they are virtually the same "pickup holder" with very different pickups installed in each, with the 4-string and 5-string designation being the only significant physical derivation between them all -- besides the pickups.

If you've played Musicman and Fender basses, the G&L models are somewhat closer to a Fender in shape, but with Musicman refinements and hardware throughout. These G&Ls are a bit of a return to the vintage Fender bass, but have all of the essential refinements that Leo introduced with the Musicman Stingray, such a slightly bigger and stronger neck with a 6-screw mount, the big 3-way humbucker with huge polepieces on the L-2000 series, and large top-mount bridge on all of the G&L bass models. All of the passive P and J pickups that G&L uses seem to be just a bit hotter than vintage Fender pickups.

Archived