Speakers for a Mesa Powerhouse 1000

aortizjr

• Members

Hi there!

Had a buddy bring a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 into the shop and the guy somehow blew all the speakers. Every single one tests wide open. Crossover seems to have survived. Looking at the cost to replace them all, he can get a used working cab from probably cheaper than replacing the speakers with Mesa Powerhouse speakers. The cab is built like a tank, so I am thinking about trading him on another repair of a GK cab with a blown tweeter. So I can get the cab for pretty cheap!

So starting from scratch, any suggestions? Going back with powerhouse speakers, looking at $129 for the 10's and $199 for the 15 which is cool and all. I am actually an Eminence and Celestion dealer so I get a bit of a deal on those.

Thinking Eminence Kappalite for the 15 and Deltalite's for the 10's to save some weight. Or maybe Eminence BP102's or Basslite's.. so many options!

• Members

Mesa's web site says they're "Custom Eminence" (http://mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/bass-cabinets/powerhouse-series/standard-powerhouse/ph-1000.html#features-and-specifications). I'd definitely go for lighter speakers if possible. That cab is spec'ed at 137 lbs! Unfortunately, from what I can see the C2515 is only available in 4 Ohms and "only" handles 300 Watts RMS so you'd lose some power handling and you'd have to make it a 4 Ohm cab.

• Members

Note that Eminence makes and has made speakers for a *LOT* of amp manufacturers. The speakers they make for amp manufacturers are often not exact off-the-shelf Eminence models. Instead, they may be close to some existing Eminence retail box model, but with a feature or two that makes them different, such as a different magnet size, dust cap, cone, or voice coil type / impedance rating.

• Members

I don't think anyone is saying any off-the-shelf Eminence is a direct replacement for what's in the cab. But a set from Mesa would cost $715. OTOH, the OP can get off-the-shelf Eminence speakers below retail as a dealer. At retail, the 15" would be $150 and each 10" $90 or so for a total of $510, probably a good bit less if he pays wholesale. He can sell the cab as "used/repaired" for a good price and still make a profit since the Powerhouse 1000 typically goes for $1600 or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree on all points here. I was doing some measurements and this cab is kind of an abomination (mesa even states that it doesn't follow any "rules").

Yeah I am debating even keeping it since it is built like a tank! Thinking on Kappalite 3015LF's for the lows, then for the 10's debating between Deltalite's and Basslite's.

The cab is 4 ohms total.. so 4x10 as 8 ohm and an 8 ohm 15. Easy on that front, nothing strange to find there.

But yeah I am an Eminence dealer so I can get wholesale which is why I am interested. From Mesa I am looking at some $$$ and no deal that I know of. I can ask though.

Archived