connecting a powered subwoofer to xlr direct balanced output connector jack on rear of combo amp?

customdrum

• Members

I have a 100watt combo amp that has a XLR direct balanced output connector jack on the rear and wanted to know if i could connect a powered subwoofer to the amp through this with no issues or would i have to go through a mixer. My friend has a powered subwoofer and was thinking i could hook my bass combo amp to the powered subwoofer to get more noise since 100watt combo isnt much when trying to jam against orange and green heads

• Members

Probably. If your subwoofer has an XLR input you can do it but it may take some fiddling to match the levels. It will do for now but you need to start saving for a more capable rig. I have no idea where you are but here in the St. Louis area older Peavey stuff crops up on CraigsList all the time. Since you've seen that 100 Watts (I'm guessing with a single 15" speaker) isn't doing it for you, look for 200 Watts or better and preferably a separate head and cab.

• Members

yeah the 100 watt 15 is just a practice amp for sure i know that lol, def will need more power later with head and cabinet for sure. Yeha i figured it would work but like you say it may sound funny but its just for jamming anyway, its an 18" powered sub so i figure it will boom some

• Members

The XLR out on the amp should be line level so it should be good enough to drive the sub woofer.

You may need to tweak your tone controls to get the best tone between the two. The sub probably wont put out allot of highs but that's OK. If you dial back the bass so the sub sounds OK, the combo speaker will act more like a mid driver.

• 4 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

Coupla issues. The DI may or may not be line level. What amp is this? Few have a published spec on output level, but I'm familiar with several.

I'm more concerned with what you're going to get out of the sub...most roll off the upper end at 250Hz or lower. The bass guitar is a full-range instrument, so the overall balance of your sound from the amp and the sub may be "odd".

It would be far more useful to put the sub on the PA system and run the DI into that. You'll get better room coverage and far better tonal balance.

Archived