Dean Mako Glory American Flag Bass...any opinions?

epi56ebony

• Members
How is it acoustically? Can it stand up to' date=' say, two acoustic guitars? I'm guessing not.[/quote']

I'm guessing you are correct. Unplugged, good for bedroom practice, but won't be able to keep up with acoustic guitars - there are ABGs that can, just unlikely to be found inexpensively (though I did just luck out and score an old Tacoma Thunderchief for $300, still is possible).

• Members

The prices listed there for them seems high to me, likely because of the artwork. Given the hate being displayed over flags in the media lately It probably wouldn't be my first choice for artwork. It wouldn't bother me personally but I've learned its better to avoid politics and religion when it comes to entertainment. Young kids today see it as political so why alienate paying customers if you don't have to. Just this weekend in town they had like 20 flags ripped down and shredded here in Houston over the 4th. They were lucky not to be shot by home owners for doing that.

Again, its your choice I'd rather have people focused on my playing and find out what who I am through that music vs a picture on my instrument being a distraction to that.

As for the guitar, I never considered Dean to be more then a low end budget import. They took a $100 bass sell it for $400. Don't know about anyone else but the paint job isn't going to make it a better sounding guitar. If you were getting it in good shape used for $150 used that would be one thing, but I'd easily chose something superior for that money without the artwork any day of the week. This is especially true on an acoustic bass which takes a tremendous amount of stress on the neck joint and body. Even there you can buy new Fender Acoustic basses under $200 and likely get a much better instrument.

My buddy has had an Ibanez acoustic bass for about 5 years now and I played it this weekend. Its definitely showing signs of warping now. He doesn't keep it in a humidified case nor slacken the strings when its not being played. He just keeps it on a stand in his air conditioned studio.

I told him to dump the thing two years ago when he could still get some money for it. Now its pretty much over the hill and will likely wind up being a basket case within two years if the bridge doesn't lift off first.

The closest I'd go to a hollow is EB-2/Memphis type bass that has enough reinforcement to handle the stress plus an adjustable bridge to compensate. You got to plug them in anyway so why not get something that will last and have a good resale.

fetch?id=31528919

I bought a Hofner Club bass recently for acoustic tones and it does a great job copying an upright bass tone when using flat wound strings. Super easy to play with the shorter scale too.

fetch?id=31528921

If I were doing 100% acoustic stuff I think an upright bass would be the ticket if they weren't so darn expensive.

Even the chambered electrics are in the $750 range. https://reverb.com/item/435753-new-palatino-ve-550-stand-up-electric-chamber-bodied-bass?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CPLmi9D3xsYCFQUGaQodRYgOig

8dcb0083fe92353e4e320855be0535f4.jpg.85160a646ea5a79933128ce553dd0024.jpg

bd237482bc67ba2c7e7e838b75b43aff.jpg.924bf8d2959ec81bbd2738623662cec0.jpg

• Members

I like it mainly for the artwork...the flag motif. I just like designs on guitars/bass. I have the Wayne Kramer strat, Buck Owens Tele, Hofner violin UK flag and as you can see on my avatar the SF Giants.

It's just for me in my home. Over the July 4th weekend they must have sold them all because the GC/MF/M123 and WWBW sites all say no longer available. Guess they were blowing em out and discontinuing them.

I found one on Amazon even cheaper from a third party seller. $289 new, free shipping, no tax to California. I'm not looking for this thing to be high quality, I'm getting it to fool around on and especially for the flag artwork.

Thanks for letting me know about the potential for the neck warping. I'll probably just keep it out, if it warps, I'll just hang it up on the wall. If I use lower gauge string would there be less chance for the neck warping.

I like some of the crazy stuff Dean makes. I have the Florescent Green Zone Bass, got it for $35 on CL. I had to 'redesign' it a bit due to all the stickers and marking from the previous owner. It's now my Green Lantern Bass. That green color is really cool as is the way the neck looks.

• Members

I'm guessing you are correct. Unplugged, good for bedroom practice, but won't be able to keep up with acoustic guitars - there are ABGs that can, just unlikely to be found inexpensively (though I did just luck out and score an old Tacoma Thunderchief for $300, still is possible).

You can plug in the Mako Bass so wouldn't that take care of the loudness issue.

• Moderators
You can plug in the Mako Bass so wouldn't that take care of the loudness issue.

Sure it would, but then you wouldn't need an acoustic bass guitar. An electric would do as well. Then the question becomes, does the sound of the bass add anything to the song or the performance? Maybe. I use my Ovation for acoustic gigs mainly for looks, but it does sound different than my solid body electrics. Not better, just different.

• Members

Sure it would, but then you wouldn't need an acoustic bass guitar. An electric would do as well. Then the question becomes, does the sound of the bass add anything to the song or the performance? Maybe. I use my Ovation for acoustic gigs mainly for looks, but it does sound different than my solid body electrics. Not better, just different.

but with an acoustic bass thru the amp you get that acoustic tone vs. the electric tone

• Moderators
but with an acoustic bass thru the amp you get that acoustic tone vs. the electric tone

As I said, it sounds different. But once you run it through an amp, I don't think it really sounds like an acoustic anymore. More like an acoustic than a solid body does, of course, but not really like it does unamplified.

Archived