Recommenced me a good two cab setup to pair with Tonehammer 500!

Drew-jweVZ

• Members

Hello all, I am in need of two cabs, preferably two 1x12's but I am open to other suggestions for my Aguilar Tone hammer rig! I am going to be running either bass or guitar w/octave effects through it so they need to be versatile and especially more than anything be LOUD! My main issue with my cabs now is not being able to handle the tonehammer and so I need these cabs to be POWERFUL!!! I play a wide variety of styles/instruments/effects through this rig, mainly kind of reggae/grunge/low end heavy/psychedelic stuff in my band at least.

• Members

A ton of bassists have had considerable success with Ampeg gear. As I said, they're the industry standard. That's why I mentioned them. And if there's someplace near you that sells other brands, by all means check them out.

• Members

A 15 and 2X10 or 15 and 4X10 would be my choice for bass. So long as the cabs designed for bass and Tuned for those frequencies you'll be all right. The speakers in the cabs are a key item. You have to match the heads wattage and impedance of course. With bass having speakers that are above the heads wattage by at least 25% ensures the sound will remain clean at max volumes.

Solo 2X12's or 2X10's are not my first choice for bass. For guitar they can be fine but a 2X10" for bass is highly anemic. I auditioned a bass player not long ago who had a 2X10 and I buried him with my small peavey amp. Its just doesn't push enough air to match the drummers kick which is the whole key here. If the drummer uses a 22" kick he essentially has a 22" speaker. 4X10" or a 15" can compete with that and match his kick volume.

Most bass cabs aren't going to sound so hot for guitar and most guitar speakers aren't going to sound so hot for bass. Most Bass speakers roll off at 3Khz and most guitar speakers between 4~6Khz. Bass cabs can produce tones down to maybe 40hz and guitar rolls off at maybe 150~200hz.

If you need to be able to get both instruments to play, then having a 4X10 that will get some higher frequencies for guitar and 15" that handles the sub lows is probably going to be the best of both worlds. You can just unplug the 15" playing guitar and not sound woofed out on the lows.

• Members

^ That's not a bad idea. The 12s would handle the low end and the mids would take care of the rest. There are also plenty of 2Xwhatevers that have a high frequency driver so the upper range is covered there too. Single 12s are a bad idea for bass if you want decent volume.

• Members

The problem for bass is whatever size speaker you use it needs to be tuned for bass frequencies. Like OPA cabs, Bass cabs use the speakers resonant frequency and air mass within the cab to get maximum bass response. you find this in all High Fidelity setups from Bass To PA and Hi Fi Stuff. The largest speaker is the woofer and its going to reproduce the lows.

Problem is with guitar is its a midrange instrument and it doesn't need or necessarily sound good producing all those lows. You can use a full range cab on bass or guitar, but a bass doesn't produce much sound above 2~3K. Having horns and dedicated mids really aren't needed so long as the cabs designed right and the woofer doesn't roll off too low. If you want to play guitar through a 2 or 3 way cab they usually suck for tone. The horns definitely aren't needed and having a crossover for mids and lows causes weird phase issues, and its unlikely to get you anything close to decent guitar tone from a head only.

It might sound OK for clean guitar. Acoustic guitars can sound pretty good through a bass head and 3 way speakers just like it can through a PA, but electric would need to rely 100% on effects boxes to come close to a normal guitar amp.

The analogy would be a miced guitar amp playing through a PA. All the proper tone and drive comes from the miced midrange guitar speaker. There are no highs or lows there and the drive can come before the amp, from the preamp, power amp speakers and mic. Bass on the other hand is sounding 100% clean so the speakers and head minimize the effects guitars sound best with.

If you want good bass and guitar with the same head its best to use the bass rigs mid drivers so you don't have to deal with any sub lows which will make the guitar sound too bassy. Having to deal with the head that's not suitable for guitar is bad enough. Compounding the problem with a bunch of mud you have to dial away is much worse. You can deal with the high watt bass head on guitar so long as the cab is suitable. You can get your drive from pedals and sound OK, but a bit sterile. It wont have the good upper mids a guitar needs so your upper harmonics will likely hurt but for chords it wont sound too bad.

I have an Ampeg Portaflex head which is a class D head like the one you're planning on using. It sounds OK for guitar chords. Its warm sounding and all, but that's about it. They don't produce those nice upper mids and highs a class A/B head does and you can forget about getting good speaker saturation. You have to use drive effects to get any kind of rock tones and you'll still be buried by a normal guitar amp on the higher end at the end of the day. If you play Clean rhythm or Jazz it will work but for rock you're pushing it. The amps for guitar and bass are voiced differently from the head to speaker for a reason. They are musically an octave apart and the string mass of the bass vs guitar requires different components to faithfully reproduce both. You get too far out trying to compromise bass tones to make guitar tones, neither will wind up sounding very good.

• 1 month later...

Archived