e-Drum / Mixing Board / Headphone loop?

• Members

Hi All,

I recently got an electronic drumset (Alesis Strike Pro) and I'm trying to determine the correct way to plug it into my mixing board, because I think I'm creating an endless loop.

If you look at attached figure, you'll see that right now I've got the Main Outs from the eDrum Module going into a stereo channel on my mixing board. The rest of the band and audio source (iPhone) are plugged into the mixing board, too. So, in order for me to hear them, I have a mix that I send from an AUX on the mixing board to the AUX input of the e-Dru module, to which my headphones are connected. But this seems to essentially create the following loop:

E-drums -> Mixing board -> E-drums, repeat endlessly.

So, when I hit a drum, the output goes from the E-Drum module, into the mixing board, and out the mixing board's AUX back to the E-Drum module... repeat. This doesn't seem right.

I should note that, audibly, you do not hear any kind of repeating or echoing sound. All that you can hear through the PA speakers (and in my headphones) actually seems to be an improved, fuller sound. But it still doesn't seem right, and I want to make sure I'm not hurting any of my equipment. Would love to know what you guys think of this arrangement and if there's a better one I should look into.

Thanks in advance!

c26732be7405e5b428ae0204880fca16.thumb.jpg.61c1e23d5bce7740dffda1338274a27b.jpg

Hi All,

I recently got an electronic drumset (Alesis Strike Pro) and I'm trying to determine the correct way to plug it into my mixing board, because I think I'm creating an endless loop.

If you look at attached figure, you'll see that right now I've got the Main Outs from the eDrum Module going into a stereo channel on my mixing board. The rest of the band and audio source (iPhone) are plugged into the mixing board, too. So, in order for me to hear them, I have a mix that I send from an AUX on the mixing board to the AUX input of the e-Dru module, to which my headphones are connected. But this seems to essentially create the following loop:

E-drums -> Mixing board -> E-drums, repeat endlessly.

Yup - you're creating a feedback loop.

Don't plug the aux send from the board into the aux input on the e-drums. Instead, plug the aux out from the board into a small headphone amp.

Something like the Samson headphone amp would be an inexpensive solution.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/samson-qh4-four-channel-headphone-amplifier

The usual approach would be to just use the aux sends at the board to provide the mix of the band and the e-drums to the monitors (or headphones) - want more e-drums? Turn the aux send knob for the e-drum channel up on the board.

Archived