What analog gear do I keep?

• Members

So, I bought an X32 Producer and have no desire to mix on analog anymore. If you're not familiar with the Producer, it's essentially the X32 version of the M32r. A rackmount-sized mixer with the same I/O as an X32 Rack but most of the physical controls of the X32 Compact.

I mostly do bands I am in (Classic Rock, Grateful Dead, Big Band) plus bottom of the barrel stuff like power trios in coffee shops. Trying to expand my work ATM to get some regular gigs doing the community big band circuit etc. I don't see me getting any bigger than I am right now, only busier.

I'm using the X32 to mix FOH, monitors, and as a system processor. It seems to do everything I want it to do. The crossover is limited to LR24 but I don't see that being a problem.

So, now I want to move some of my analog gear, so I can buy more microphones and whatnot. I'm thinking about keeping my Soundcraft Spirit E12 and a single stereo GEQ as an emergency backup in case the X32 goes down. Will I miss anything else?

I have a couple of Peavey FLS GEQs, a DOD GEQ in like-new condition, a dbx 1231, a couple of Sabine FBX 1200s, a DriveRack PX, a Behringer RX1202FX 3U mixer (was bought as a keys submixer - I play keys), and a 20U shock mount case up for grabs. Also a plastic Gator 12+4RU mixer case that fits the Spirit E12 plus an EQ. Might hang on to that, even those I have a "briefcase" case that also fits the E12. I also have a 4U Levi case that would be good for an EQ, but I use it for my light controller. Perhaps I could find a better case for THAT - it's way too deep anyhow.

Trying to figure out which EQ I'd be smartest keeping. Maybe the DRPX? I'm thinking it would fetch the most money, but it can double as a crossover, and it's plausible I might need one if the X32 goes down. Although I doubt it, I only use powered speakers (even when renting) and everything seems to have built-in HPF/LPF nowadays.

The console and Lexicon I had been mixing larger shows on are already up for sale, I didn't own those and I'm not going to buy them.

Thoughts? Have you sold any analog gear in your transition to digital and then regretted it?

Wes

• Members

While I don't have the same massive pile of analog gear that you do, I'm also in the process of going digital. I just recently purchased an X-Air mixer, and I'm hesitant to replace my Yamaha analog board until I'm 100% confident with this fancy newfangled digital stuff... While the theory is behind it is the same, the execution adds several layers of complexity that I'm just not comfortable with just yet. I really want to sell the Yamaha to make space, but I just can't let it go until I'm sure.

• Members
Have you sold any analog gear in your transition to digital and then regretted it?

Wes

I have gone digital as far as mixer/processors go but I still have my analog gear.

why?

I was called at the last minute to tech an outdoor band festival last summer..

The remote power was via donated generators...

I brought my analog FOH rig....

..worked like a charm...

I have run my analog rig on non-inverter generators in the past without issue... For remote gigs, I have never tried my (A&H) digital boards on non-inverter generators...

There is no real time to experiment "on a gig".....

FWIW: I have two inverter generators in my inventory..... I've got to find someone with a non-inverter gen to experiment with.

• Members

Hmm.....definitely some wisdom from some industry veterans here.

The digital desk/generator issue is an interesting one. I wouldn't *expect* problems with a decently-designed switching power supply, but I suppose you never know. These things are computers, after all. Perhaps an "online" UPS would be something worth acquiring.

BTW "remote power via donated generators" - plural - this would make me nervous as hell as a sound provider. I would refuse the gig if I knew about that ahead of time, unless there was a master electrician or P.Eng EE or similar involved in the power distro.

• Members

"" The crossover is limited to LR24 but I don't see that being a problem. "" The Producer shares the same software as every unit from the M32 to X32 line. A large crossover filter type and slopes are available. I have the M32r which runs the same program. With software updates 3.07 and 3.08 these filters are available in the L/R out and the Mono/Center out.

As a side note if you update to more channels with a stage box there is a sound difference between the DL16/32 line and the S/SD 8-16 channel units. I have a DL16 and an S16. The difference is slight but there. The DL is a little smoother.

A basic test here.

As far as analog gear I'd keep your board. You can go out its L/R to the Line Inputs on your Producer to add channels now. Or with a passive split use it for a monitor board down the line.

I really like the M32/X32 line of mixers and find them flexible and easy to get around once you spend some time with them. Any questions hit me up.

Doug

c329049efb09c84a6702a47556190b27.thumb.jpg.4897a27b42d5109006b0701b29c9db17.jpg

• Members

Hey, Doug -- are you saying that there is a way to get a steeper crossover than LR24? Best I see on Main L/R and matrix busses are 24 db/octave. I used to run my DRPX at 48db/octave. I can't hear the difference, though.

BTW, I have been plugging inputs mics into the TRS inputs when desperate for channels. Usually tom mics. I used to use the preamps in an analog board via the insert points, but I find that I have enough gain without them. I just use XLR->TRS cables and route the aux ins to channel strips so that I can use gates and compressors. I do see a stage box in my future, though. I think the Behringer stuff sounds fine, but the Midas warranty is intriguing.

So I listed everything except the Soundcraft board and case last night at highish prices to see what will move, and I'll stop short of selling one EQ. Hopefully the DOD because it's nice and compact and in perfect shape and has both XLR and 0.25" I/O but I'd be okay with keeping the dbx 1231 too.

Wes

PS - I recognize that photo. We must be in a common Facebook group. Or maybe PSW LAB.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32172409}[/ATTACH]

• Members

BTW "remote power via donated generators" - plural - this would make me nervous as hell as a sound provider. I would refuse the gig if I knew about that ahead of time, unless there was a master electrician or P.Eng EE or similar involved in the power distro.

In the case of a last minute sound gig I did this past summer (I got the call on Thursday for the Saturday show). I knew beforehand that there was "donated generator power".... Well, this was a "first time local gig", meaning that the organizer had no clue what was involved... He mentioned a Predator 4000 generator (I have used them in the past) as one of the units.

I brought my analog mixer/EQ's/processors and all went well...plus I walked away with $950.00 for a five hour show...not huge $ but worth skipping a day at the beach...

• Members
Hey, Doug -- are you saying that there is a way to get a steeper crossover than LR24? Best I see on Main L/R and matrix busses are 24 db/octave. I used to run my DRPX at 48db/octave. I can't hear the difference, though.

BTW, I have been plugging inputs mics into the TRS inputs when desperate for channels. Usually tom mics. I used to use the preamps in an analog board via the insert points, but I find that I have enough gain without them. I just use XLR->TRS cables and route the aux ins to channel strips so that I can use gates and compressors. I do see a stage box in my future, though. I think the Behringer stuff sounds fine, but the Midas warranty is intriguing.

So I listed everything except the Soundcraft board and case last night at highish prices to see what will move, and I'll stop short of selling one EQ. Hopefully the DOD because it's nice and compact and in perfect shape and has both XLR and 0.25" I/O but I'd be okay with keeping the dbx 1231 too.

Wes

PS - I recognize that photo. We must be in a common Facebook group. Or maybe PSW LAB.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32172409}[/ATTACH]

I'm sorry. I read that as only LR was available. I wasn't thinking of slope. :-( The Matrix has 24 db slopes and now with firmware 3.07 and 3.08 the L/R and Mono/Center has 24db slopes. I believe the L/R outs when assigned to a matrix is post eq. So the 2 filters combined would give you a 8th order slope. I've never tried it but I have a show Saturday and if I can find the time I'll give it a try. I'm on the lab and most Facebook M32/X32 groups.

Doug

• Members

I'm sorry. I read that as only LR was available. I wasn't thinking of slope. :-( The Matrix has 24 db slopes and now with firmware 3.07 and 3.08 the L/R and Mono/Center has 24db slopes. I believe the L/R outs when assigned to a matrix is post eq. So the 2 filters combined would give you a 8th order slope. I've never tried it but I have a show Saturday and if I can find the time I'll give it a try. I'm on the lab and most Facebook M32/X32 groups.

Doug

I just got back from setting up. Yes, If you assign a Paired Matrix from L/R and the Matrix having a LR24 filter (post fader) and use another LR24 on the L/R mains eq you'll end up with 48db slopes. I'm not a big fan of 48db filters as they could "ring" but it can be done. Same with a mono sub feed.

Like this only with LR filters on the mains as well. Be sure to properly assign the Matrix to XLR outs.

Archived