Mystery Tele

ryanward84@gmail.com

• Members

It looks like a parts caster of some type. The neck from a custom, and the rest no way to tell without digging deeper.

FWIW I've never seen a custom with that decal placement. Usually it's further down the head stock with the "custom" part on the ball end of the headstock.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fender-telecaster-serial-number-headstock.png","data-attachmentid":32118555}[/ATTACH]

• Members
I'd bet good money it's NOT a Fender. Other then the placement of the decal' date=' there's serial number, and nothing written on the bridge or the neck plate. Ummm, hope you didn't pay a lot for it. if you did, hopefully you can take it back.[/quote']

Neck plate looks really crooked as well. Stay away from that one for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Those bridges are used on the Affinity Squires. The neck itself doesn't look like a Fender either. The grade of the maple looks to be a cheap import. Tele's use a single string tree, and the single button type on the Affinity. The logo is definitely in the wrong place like Mr Brown says too. It could be an affinity neck that had the old logo sanded off. They are only painted on and a pair of string trees installed. Its not an actual Fender though. That wood grain is definitely the low quality stuff.

• Members

Looks fake for a variety of reasons. "Fender" script is from the CBS '68 -80 era, has modern bridge saddles, though. String trees are way too far apart. The "F" in Fender should begin under the post for the D-string tuner and extend to the end of the headstock like in the pic in the first response. The 4-bolt neck didn't reappear until circa '82 - '83, so you've got a '68 - '80 era logo with post-1980 bridge saddles and neck attachment. Finally, I'm pretty sure the first Daphne Blue finish on a Tele with a maple neck was on the Deluxe Nashville Model (depending on lighting, I suppose yours could be Sonic Blue, but I don't think that was available on a standard model except in circa '63 and then the Baja model, both with rosewood boards (and the '63 would of course have a 3-bolt neck and brass saddles).

Finally, I don't recall seeing the Custom logo on any Tele except on the '72 and its reissues, and couple of models with body bining with contoured backs, but the latter don't have the CBS-era black logo.

Partscaster. I've owned over 40 Tele's, and that one isn't real.

• Members

Some parts casters can play well enough. Just realize you can often throw one together for under a hundred dollars in used and generic parts so if your plan is to buy one, keep that in mind.

I'll also note you cant upgrade that bridge to a Fender either without having the holes show. I bought an ash tray type with the compensated saddles to replace the crappy one on my Squire Affinity and there was no way that one was going to fit. The original is about an inch longer so you'd have two mounting holes showing with the shorter bridges Fender uses.

Archived