10-09-2006 11:16 AM
Originally posted by gracepoolesptnt
Originally posted by pontiusplaymate
"I'm not sure that I want to take "the innate desire to write" away from anyone, though I suspect that I do." ________
1. Huh? Yes or no. Do or don't. You are the criticizor here. Perhaps you should make up your mind before you share it.
"Nor do I deny that certain people feel compelled to write or paint, or fart in public..."_________
2. compel >verb 1. force or oblige to do something
"I certainly imagine these gangly people feel inspired when they sit down to scribble in their stupid notebooks."_______
3. inspired >adjective 1 showing or characterized by inspiration
inspiration >noun 1 the process or quality of being inspired. 2 a person or thing that inspires. 3 a sudden clever or timely idea.
4. Are you getting the point here? Do you make fun of little kids practicing the piano because they aren't producing Mozart-quality level sound? Why would you criticize people who may or may not write at different levels? or how or where they may write? These people may write because they have no other release due to judgmental people like you who surround and suffocate self-expression any other way. Their heart mission on paper may be all of what is keeping them going on a particular day. Even if you consider it drivel.... even it if IS drivel. Who are you to say?
5. What do you have against tall, thin awkward people anyway? I know! Are you short?! How odd you keep using the word "gangly" in a derogatory sense. Maybe you could spend some time thinking about that...
"And really, it's okay with me that they do so...just so long as I never have to listen to or hear about the absolute crap they're scribbling down."_________
6. I doubt very very much that these "gangly" people sat on street corners and door stoops and looked up into your critical eyes and asked you to read their heart words.
"I'm not a fascist. People should do as they like for the most part. I just don't think the scribblers here are writing down anything worthwhile."________________
7. Last I checked this was Open Jam=choice of where to read or not, write or not. Even if you received a gold engraved invitation from every person posting here, it's still your choice to stay or go, to write or not.
No one in this thread, but you, is critizing anyone's creative process. We are critizing ourselves and sharing what works best and what doesn't.
"Soooooooooo, i think if a person has one kind of compulsive behavior that's harmless, it's fine for them to engage in it...I just don't think that the scribbling compulsion, for the most part, is a very valuable songwriting device." ________________
8. Do you understand this is the crux of the whole matter: YOU don't get to decide that process for anyone except yourself. You have no value in my creative process equation.
HarmonyCentral.com is the leading Internet resource for musicians, supplying valuable information from news and product reviews, to classified ads and chat rooms.