06-08-2009 06:02 AM
Oh, I have one from when I was running sound.
Once a month our church group does a praise & worship gathering at a local bar. They're normally closed on Tuesday nights, so we rent the place out and set up for a band, and have about an hour and a half of music and worship. Good times. Anyway, I usually run sound with my rig, since it's a pretty small club and my gear is capable of handling it easily. It's basically a case of just getting everything else loud enough to sound right with the drums.
The guys in the band are usually very helpful when it comes time to break down, and for the most part know that I mainly just want them to get their gear broken down and off the stage while I break down the PA.
It's important to note here that while the band is breaking down and I'm breaking down the monitors and mics and such, I usually leave a CD playing through the mains for those people who haven't left yet. There are usually a good few dozen folks still milling about while I'm breaking down, and then when there's nothing left but the mains and snake, I kill the CD, power down the rest of the system, and finish breaking down. No big deal.
This particular night, there was a new bass player sitting in with the group. After the gig I'm in the process of coiling the speaker cables from the monitors when the guy asks me where I want this cable.
"It shocked me when I touched it," he says, "but I just grabbed it by the cable and yanked it out." And I see he has the 1/4" speaker cable from the mains in his hand.
The mains were still live.
So of course I hurriedly shut everything down, and tell him he shouldn't have unplugged that speaker cable yet. He's very proud of himself for figuring out how to unplug the cable without getting shocked again. :facepalm:
I gathered everyone together after that and we had a short talk about unplugging cables when you don't know what they do, asking before handling potentially dangerous gear, and WHY YOU SHOULDN'T TOUCH STUFF THAT SHOCKS YOU. We also covered a little general electrical safety, why you shouldn't mess with electrical equipment if you don't know what you're doing, etc... I also changed over to Speakon cables for the mains after that gig. It seems a little more difficult for people who don't know what they're doing to unplug those.
Thankfully, no people or gear was injured in this. How the guy managed to coil up the cable without hurting himself, the speakers, or my amp I've never figured out. Blind luck, I guess.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people think thousands of watts worth of gear can't hurt them, because it's just music stuff.
09-01-2009 01:17 PM
09-01-2009 01:29 PM
But this time, EVERY knob on the mixer was on 10, up all the way!! Except pans were set to center, master out not too high. So, I think that somebody must have intentionally turned every eq, level and send up all the way! Imagine the sound...
09-01-2009 06:28 PM
kids like to do this as a prank, turn everything to 10 and wait for the hapless user to come by and turn it on.
06-01-2010 04:39 PM
06-01-2010 07:50 PM
06-01-2010 08:30 PM
Oh fuck, another "must do" time waster. Fortunately I have a string of shows where this will be the perfect reading material. Can't wait.
Seriously, there's some really good shit in these stories.
06-08-2010 05:30 PM
06-13-2010 09:50 AM
06-16-2010 04:24 PM
09-07-2011 12:22 PM
09-07-2011 12:36 PM
09-07-2011 08:41 PM
I've re-retired yet again. Been working at my old workplace again, but their penchant for sending me on 12 hour commutes to Dallas plus their occasional failure to pay me for hours worked has caused me to rethink whether I need to slosh in that piss bucket again. :idk: Terry D.
Some of my favorite storytelling Terry. You still retired or back to asphalt consulting?
09-07-2011 08:57 PM
HarmonyCentral.com is the leading Internet resource for musicians, supplying valuable information from news and product reviews, to classified ads and chat rooms.