02-06-2013 07:13 PM
The original 50's and 60's Strats have a very distinct tone that a lot of players, including myself, find missing in Fender's Standard offering. Once you flatten the neck, install a plastic nut, use a poly finish, design a two - point pivot system for the trem, use some sort of zinc alloy for the bridge parts, and use heavy chunks of alder, you lose that snappy attack and glassy top end. The bass strings have no bite and sound dull. The way around this is either a boutique builder or the Custom Shop.
I'd like to listen to the clip, but it doesn't seem to be showing up on the page for me?
I agree with you and I don't at the same time. You are right that if you want a (more or less) historically accurate Strat, your only choices are the new American Vintage line, the Custom Shop, or a boutique builder. None of those options are cheap.
At the same time, I don't believe the presence of some of those modern features truly prevents "proper" Strat tone. I've got a G&L, and just about everything isn't "proper" about it. 12" radius, bigger frets, poly finish, 2 point trem, non-conventional wiring setup. Quite honestly, it gets you 95% of the way there - and I'll trade the remaining 5% for some modern functionality. Having the right amp and being able to play well is more important at that point.
On the flip side, my K-Line Tele (boutique builder) is pretty close to a "correct" alder/RW 60s Tele other than having a 10" radius and compensated saddles. I don't have shit for country licks, so I don't sound much like Brad Paisley or any other mean country picker on it. It does a badass Keef/Ronnie though.
As a separate point, between K-Line and LSL, I've had the chance to play guitars from two Tele builders who can make you something to spec for the same price as the new American Vintages...I just don't see the value proposition there. Frankly I liked what both builders were putting out more than all but one of five CS Teles I played.
02-07-2013 03:48 PM
02-07-2013 04:24 PM
Really nice playing and great tone. Thanks for sharing!
...and how is this a solution to anything? I don't understand this forum. How does a "solution" even get picked? :catvery-happy:
Strat sounds good, Doc. I'm not into that type of music, but it wasn't bad. I think your tremolo bar technique could be a little better, it seems rushed and a little fast for the tempo. Good job, though! I like it