03-02-2013 08:12 PM
Recently got an iPad and started using OnSong. I'm starting to play in multiple bands and doing more sitting in, and was really hoping this would be a good way to snag last minute charts for any songs I may not have time to fully prepare for. The program seems really cool and has the potential to be great, but the one major annoyance I'm having is that if I want to use it to its fullest, it takes longer to format the files correctly than it does to just learn the damn song! Completely defeats the purpose for me. I'm getting faster with it after a while, but it still is a huge pain.
I know I could just use it as a place to store and call up my pdf or doc charts which are much faster for me to make (or find), but it really would be nice to use the program to its fullest!
Do any of you guys know of any places where folks swap OnSong-ready files. Seems there should be a library of formatted songs out there somewhere, but obviously the developers can't sanction that for legal reasons. Any idears?
03-02-2013 08:36 PM
Some of the songs at Chordie.com can be traslated to Songpro compatible versions by clicking on "Chordpro" button at the right side of the page.
03-03-2013 07:15 AM
03-03-2013 08:53 AM
I'm an OnSong user. I've got somewhere in the vicinity of 350 songs in my library. The vast majority of my charts were self-created in my own weird way of charting tunes (basically, chord names for the various parts of the tune - along with whatever notes I feel might be necessary). Roughly 75% of the songs in my library transferred into OnSong from the collection of Word documents that I originally created the charts in - which was accomplished with a simple upload. The remaining 25% have either been downloaded from the internet - or created by me using the OnSong "new song" file editor.
Personally, the act of creating a chart is part of the learning process for me. Something about taking the time and effort to write the chart helps me burn the song into memory. For whatever reason - I rarely remember a song that I'm simply downloaded an internet chart for as well as I remember songs with charts that I've created myself.
03-04-2013 05:59 AM
I never use a chart directly off the web. For openers, many of the songs I've looked up have mistakes.
They also place chords over the lyrics, rather than where they fall in each measure.
I write out my harmony parts, as well as keyboard or horn lines.
I also like to highlight parts that I'm having trouble remembering.
My keyboard presets go in the upper right corner. . . . Can I do that, or any of these other things, on any of these apps?
At the moment, I use MS Word and a laptop. If I can import those files to an ipad app that has quick and easy order and search functions, I might consider it.
03-04-2013 07:11 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. All have been helpful in some way. But...
To load up a new song, I click the + sign at the bottom right of the all songs list, then click "INTERNET". By typing in a song or artist name, I get a list of available downloads. Some are unusable, but I have about an 80% success rate. After I've put a song into OnSong, I just go in and adapt the format to fit on one page. Seems to work out well for what I want it to do.
This! I had played around with the search function before but didn't realize two things. First, I didn't notice you could preview the files first so I was just randomly picking any song in the list which was usually coming out poorly. Second, I figured out that you really need to try different search terms (i.e. full title; partial title; artist and one word from the title, etc.) to see the range of available files out there. Not sure if this is an Apple thing (this is my first Apple product) but from years of google I was used to taking it for granted that you basically get the best results every time. This is not to say all the files are coming down 100% perfect, but my success rate has increased hugely now.
03-04-2013 07:57 AM
HarmonyCentral.com is the leading Internet resource for musicians, supplying valuable information from news and product reviews, to classified ads and chat rooms.