yamaha SE350
Submitted: September 22nd, 2010
by timewarpbandman
This is the shining quality of this guitar. I bought it as a beater, but quickly realized it is a Chameleon, ie; it can sound like a tele, strat or LP and everything in between. Position 2 and 4 have that essential Strat quack. I usually play rhythm in one of those two positions and when I take a lead run, switch it over to the humbucker, which is louder and has more grit and guts, then back to the strat rhythm when done. The humbucker is "hot" so it cuts through a band while keeping the gutsy rich tone.
I have now played it at several inside and outside gigs. No crackling, utterly reliable. I am not a dive bomber with a whammy so taking off the Floyd Rose stuff makes it a very stable tuned instrument that puts out good tones.
General Comments
If one can put a real Les Paul or Stat as a 10, this guitar is not far behind, so I give it an 8. It is a bargain for the little money paid. I like finding something like this in a pawn shop for little money. It makes my friends, who have invested a lot of money in their guitars scratch their heads. This is an example of the old saying, "Don't go by the name. Go by the sound and playability." Quite frankly, it is good enough to play out so I do.