yamaha MOTIF ES8 88-Key Music Production Synthesizer
Submitted: December 10th, 2005
by abwdds
This is where the Motif ES totally kicks butt...some of the more natural acoustic sounds are better here than anywhere (guitars, flutes, organs, etc.). The X8 has better, more resin-y strings...and a killer acoustic and electric pianos (on par with the Motif)...but for those certain sounds, the Motif ES rules. The keyboard is killer, and very much like a really good acoustic piano...very natural velocity response (I had the Motif ES7, but could not get the hang of playing piano on a non-weighted keyboard, hence the switch to the ES8).
Get serious now...this is a YAMAHA !! It doesn't get any more reliable than this. I have owned probably 20 Yamaha keyboards in the last 30 years, and have NEVER had a single problem with a one. In fact, I have a Yamaha YC-20 combo organ (circa 1975) that has never needed so much as a tuning...still works and looks like new !!
General Comments
I am a gearaholic (yes, I will admit to it)...since I own the Fantom X8 as well, I could surely get by without the Motif ES8. But, I would weep, and run right out to get another as soon as the insurance check came in. I record 12 bar loops on this thing, and practice soloing to it...it's so easy and well thought. To be sure, has a smaller, simpler display than the Fantom or Triton (in my opinion, less gimmic laden as well)...but don't be fooled. The Motif will kick the pants off of either of the others on a given day...it just sounds and feels like the throughobred that it is.