Yamaha FG800M
Submitted: September 1st, 2017
by Borff
Really lightly built guitar so lots of great sound from the FG800M, however for a dreadnought sized guitar it lacks a little bit of bass response.  However with the solid top this may improve with playing.  For the price (I paid £169), this promised to be a great guitar.
This was a heart breaker - about 4 days into ownership I started getting a vibration on the low E when played open.  A day later it was the A string played open too.  The FG800M does not have any electronics to rattle, so having checked the tuning machine nuts, lubed all the nut and saddle contact points and changed strings I had to admit defeat and return it to the shop.
So I had a bad one, and I'm sure that Yamaha's quality control means that mine was one in a million, but it sounded like an internal brace worked loose, and the shop agreed and refunded my cash.  On the plus side the simple, matt finish put this instrument up there with Simon & Patrick and Seagull entry level guitars.  If only mine hadn't quite on me I'd have been thrilled with this much guitar for so little money.
General Comments
I'm sure mine will have been one of a vanishingly small number of FG800M's that have a problem.  All the reviews I ready before purchase said Yam's were bullet proof, so don't let my experience put you off.  It's entry level, but really very good looking and playing.
Strummer, finger picker, play stringed instruments for the love of it and for relaxation rather than gigging.