Yamaha 112 J
Submitted: September 16th, 2017
by timewarpbandman
This guitar has a wide variety of sounds from strat type single coil to les paul humbucker. It's pickups do not hum. The sound tends to be  a tad on the bright side. It can be used for a variety of genres.  Through a good amp, it is good enough to be used at gigs.
There are no problems with this instrument. The action, intonation, and parts seem to be very good.  It is a little on the heavy side but that gives it's sound girth. No rattles or loose parts. It stays in tune very well for a long time.  It is factory unpainted wood and from what I learned is one of the 1990's Taiwanese models.
I have been looking for a guitar to play at outside gigs because of the elements and this is the one.  It was bought used and is an excellent value for  $120 with a gator hard case.  It is an easy and fun guitar to play. You don't have to wrestle with it to get the right sounds.
General Comments
The Yamaha 112J is a very good guitar that is at home with the blues, country, rock and funk. I bought it 3 months ago and became familiar with it after a while. I initiated it today by playing a sunny, hot outdoor gig to see if it would hold up and it did.  Now, no hesitation to use it live. Clean, twangy, distorted, etc., no problem. With the two singles and one humbucker, it is all there to apply to tunes.
I am a long time musician able to play a wide variety of music and have been in many bands. My influences are the Blues, British Invasion, Surf, Classic rock, Country, Gospel, Folk, Bluegrass. Where I live, one has to be varied and adaptable to keep busy playing.