Waldorf Pulse
Submitted: June 18th, 2002
by gothicindustial
No realism here, this is an analog mono. It doesn't sound like any accoustic instruments, although I guess someone could program synth version of real sounds if they wanted. Monosynths have only a few basic jobs: Bass, Leads, Blips, and FX. The Pulse is a bass monster! It can generate huge amounts of bass with its giant sounding osc's. I don't really like the way it sounds for higher pitched sounds, such as Leads and Blips, though. FX sound great. I think the real strength of the Pulse is its bass sound, so I use it exclusively as a bass synth. I'm not sure about the filter, however. The resonance drains low end, like on a Moog. I don't like the sound of this filter that much. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but I just find the resonance to be piercing and irritating. The filter is not the star of the show on this synth. Sounds for Bass: 10 Sounds for other: 6
Feels solid enough, I would use it if I gigged, but I'd have a backup.
General Comments
If this synth went away, I think I would buy another. I like having a dedicated bass synth, and I don't know of any other analog monosynths that can pump out bass like the Pulse for under $500. Maybe a Pro-One, but then you have to buy a midi kit that bumps up the price. Bass Stations are close, but lacking a little. I am a lil dissapointed in the higher pitched sounds that the Pulse makes. Maybe its because of the dco/vco osc's, but they lack the warm phasey-ness that I like in a lead synth. Just my personal taste, though. As a bass synth, the Pulse is a force. For leads, its not my favorite.