Thomastik SP112 Spectrum Bronze Acoustic Strings Medium-Light
Submitted: September 21st, 2006
by dave(id)
My rig consists of a Tech 21 Landmark 300 pumping 300 watts into two SB112 NEO cabs (I loved the original one so much I just bought another). My signal chain looks like this: '98 Fender American P-bass (passive pickup) >>> Loooper Signal router (has an effects loop and a tuner out) >>> Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable Bass DI >>> Bass Amp. I play in a loud rock band with two guitars and a crazy drummer, as well as at church on Sunday mornings. This cab has great versatility: it can go from grindy and growly to smooth and old school. I would say, though, that it's home sound is a growly rock 'n' roll sound, with great lows, quality mids, and as much or as little high end as you want. The tweeter is really smooth, but I prefer to have it all the way off as it sounds better that way when I kick on the EH Big Muff Pi for some killer distortion. I've compared this cab with what I consider the only other great 112 cab out there (the Aguilar GS112) and this one sounds just as good for a lot less money. (Keep in mind that there are a lot of boutique cabs that I've never had the chance to play, but they are also quite expensive, and I'd likely never be able to afford them.)
Check out the construction method at AvatarSpeakers.com. These things are built like tanks. I've not had them long enough to speak to their long-term quality, but it sure seems like it will last.
General Comments
I've been playing bass for about 6 years. If these were stolen, I'd definately buy more. I love the light weight and the great sound. On a more superficial note, I think they're attractive looking cabinets. And the price...it just can't be beat.