Thomastik SB110 Spectrum Bronze Acoustic Strings Extra-Light
Submitted: August 29th, 2006
by Elias Rrezov
The sound is very good, much deeper and richer than you would expect when you pick the guitar up. Apparatenly the active electronics do their work properly. Sound is very defined and rounded.   I've used it mainly for guitar rock, both accompanying a full rock line-up and acoustic sessions. In both cases the sustain, warmth and richness works perfect. I do not know what it would feel like to a slap-bass style. I suspect this would not be the bass for you.  The bass itself is does not give so much variety in sound. I find myself playing all the time with the pan locked in the middle. It does however provide a signal that is very suitable for tweaking with the amp. The range of sounds I've gotten from different amps (Ampeg, Yamaha BB500H) is much wider than the passive pick-up bass I compared it with.  A great plus is that it is very - very - silent. Great for recording, and great for cranking up the volume in a live setting. It behaves very well in both live and studio situations.
I've carried it around in a Gigbag for years, live gigs, practice sessions, home and studio recording. It shines as brightly as ever. Very good quality!   Although I prefer a backup (Murphy's law) I often played gigs without one. I've just never had any problem, broken string or even a glitch in the output quality with this bass over the yeras.
General Comments
This was the bass that drew me away from my beautiful Les Paul Heritage series to bass playing. Gradually over the years, and after some stern advice of a bass player friend I focused on the bass and have done nothing else over the past 4 years. There's something about this instrument that helped in that transition.   It would be very hard to find a bass in this price range with similar quality and character, and I would certainly buy it again. I love it's own peculiar shape (especially the head), the light weight that does not seem to alter the sound and the reliability of the sound, even when played over an uknown amp (available in the backline of the gig venue or practice room).