Technosaurus Microcon II
Submitted: October 14th, 2006
by klingon
Really bass-heavy! For being such a small device (probably the smallest analog mono in the world) it's really huge soundwise. Deep, clean 24dB-filter and dirty, buzzy 12dB-filter and a powerful oscillator. Still, the lack of PWM (among other thing) is pretty frustrating. But hey, look at it! It's the size of a VHS tape! The VCO is really stable, just power the synth up and you're ready to go. The internal MIDI DAC tracks well to, haven't noticed any tracking errors yet. One thing I've noticed is that when the filter is controlled by keyboard CV it doesn't track to well. When you keep the resonance level at max and make the filter self-oscillate and play melodies the filter oscillation is out of tune. Maybe that's just a problem with my unit, I don't know. I'm gonna look if there are any tuning trimpots inside (would they fit in there!?)
Oh, you can depend on it alright! Sturdy chassis and smooth metal pots make me really trust in this thing. I'd bring it if I were to play live. Thanks to the fact that it's small I think it would be fun to have it in your hand on stage and tweak it on spot. Still, I haven't had it long enough to be perfectly sure it's dependable.
General Comments
It's limited, small, sturdy, stable - and beefy! Are you looking for more than VCO->VCF->VCA + AD&LFO you'd better look for something else though. It does a few things but does it really well!