tech 21 SansAmp GT2 Tube Amp Emulator
Submitted: June 30th, 2004
by gothicindustial
I'll give you a little different perspective. I play bass, but I'm mostly a synth/sampler guy. I've used this with my Aria Pro II bass (plugged into my mixer and monitors, I don't have a bass amp these days), Access Virus KB, Novation Bass Station, Waldorf Pulse, and Ensoniq ESQ-1 synths. The bass sounds awesome through it. There is a huge range of sounds I can coax, all of which react well to playing. Synths are a little bit of a mixed bad. Resonant sounds that sound (for lack of a better word) synthetic loose a great deal of their character in this box. It isn't like overdriving a mixer channel, it really alters your sound, sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a bad way. I've found that (get ready) it helps me synthesize awesome guitar sounds. Who would have guessed? Anyway, I set up a patch on the Virus with a bandpass filter that tracks the keyboard, and ran it through the Sansamp. It doesn't sound like a synthesized guitar, it just sounds like a guitar. Awesome. It's also great for noisey industrial chaos. Any synth playing octaves --> delay --> GT-2 = instant madness. in short, I like this thing a lot. I wouldn't want to use it on every synth sound, but I would use it on my bass whenever I wanted to record.
It seems reliable enough. I bought mine used, and the LED that indicates on/off doesn't work. I would gig without a backup, but then it isn't quite indispensable to me, either.
General Comments
I play industrial/ebm/synthpop, and this is great for the more angry side of electronic music. I've been playing bass for 6 years, and keys for 5. I own a cheap bass, as well as a fair amount of synths, effects, and outboard. I like the GT-2 a lot. I was considering learning a little guitar, bt since I can fake it so well with my synths and this pedal, I'll save the hundreds of dollars I would have spent on guitar gear and use it on bass and synth gear instead. :) Ultimately, this pedal opens up a range of sounds that were previously beyond my reach. It was cheap and it sounds great! What more could you want?