Stromberg Stromberg Newport
Submitted: November 19th, 2010
by phaskell
The guitar has a beautifully clear, rich, mellow sound when played acoustically and faithfully reproduced at the same and increased volumes when played thru my Polytone Mega Brute amp. I looked long and hard to find an instrument that would be so acoustically resonant and not feed back when amplified and this is it. I feel I must mention that I play all styles but am basically a jazz player at heart. I use a light gauge set of strings (.011-.052) and a 1.0mm Clayton pick. The Newport has a excellent jazz tone. Although somewhat smaller, this guitar's acoustic properties rival the $6000 Guild Artist Award that I once owned. And it's a whole lot easier to play.
Despite the fragility of the custom made pickguard and its electronics the Newport is a solidly built instrument. I have owned many guitars in my lifetime and still own a couple other fine jazz guitars but I often use my Stromberg Newport on performing gigs. It's a real workhorse and always sounds great.
General Comments
I have been playing guitar since 1954. I own, and have owned, too many guitars to mention, including Gibsons, Guilds, Fenders, and Gretch guitars. If this guitar were stolen or lost it would be mandatory on my part to replace it. Despite all the trouble with the pickguard/pickup assembly, this guitar is still my favorite archtop. I owned a '60s Gibson L7 achtop acoustic that had a floating (McCarty) pickguard/pickup assembly and the volume dial simply got in the way on that model. Although I chose this guitar for its simplicity, at the time of purchase I didn't know it had a hidden volume dial and it was only after I received the guitar that I realize the beauty of this nice feature. I was looking for a L50 style archtop jazz guitar for a reasonable price and found this wonderfully sounding instrument quite by chance simply after reading an article about it in a trade magazine. It has all the features I required and then some and the sound is simply wonderful.