Strauss SCV-30 Combo Amp
Submitted: August 18th, 2017
by PaulGilbertBro
Surprised! Warm, tweed tones that break up nicely in the clean channel and the drive channel will give you everything from crunchy lo-gain OD through to smooth sustain. You won't get metal tones from this, not even with FX.
So far, so good BUT the design is flawed and, frankly, I am just waiting for a meltdown. I would still want to get it sorted out by an AUSTRALIAN tech and keep it as my main class A. It's either that or fork out $$ for a Fender. I don't run it hot, only use the clean channel and rely on my pedals for tone. The FX loop is quite good but there is some tone suck and level issues, but you will get clarity from your time-based effects. I find that my flanger sounds better through the loop than it does straight into the front, especially if I am using hi-gain OD or a Muff. Be aware, if you have FX in the loop and switch them all off, your volume levels will jump, and vice versa for turning them on. So what I do is keep one "always on" pedal in the loop. The spring reverb is pretty decent but I use a pedal.
Good price for the tone, but two stars off for the botched Chines electronics
General Comments
I got mine used for $400. That's about what it is worth considering the likelihood that it will eventually fail, and cost me $ to get sorted. I wouldn't go on the road with this - I have a Laney for that. Good for a dedicated bandroom or home studio amp. Can do well at low volumes. I hope to get it fully overhauled and run it in a stereo, wet/dry/wet or wet/dry rig with my other amp(s)
Been a guitarist and tone-head since I was 14. Still learning.