Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-122
Submitted: June 21st, 2007
by labjr
It's not really an effects pedal and I haven't hooked it up with an electric setup. However, It's supposed to be pretty high impedance so I imagine there would be little effect on the sound.
I've only had it for a few weeks but so So far it seems very dependable. I would use it on gig without a backup.
General Comments
I've played acoustic guitar for about 20 years. Mostly folk. And for 20 years I've used a Boss TU-12H. I was looking for something better. Possibly a Peterson Strobe tuner, but I didn't want to spend the $500+. I was seriously considering the Peterson Stroboflip when I found the Turbo Tuner while searching for reviews. My guitars have never sounded better or more in tune. I enjoy playing more than ever now. Having your guitar in tune is definitely a motivation to play more because you feel like you play better and you sound like it too. This tuner is very accurate. The turbo tuner responds instantly when you play a note. No lag time whatsoever waiting for digital processing. In auto chromatic mode it catches the note very quickly. It's very sensitive. It even works across the room or in a noisy place. When it's real noisy sometimes I have to set it to manual mode and it still works well. As far as I can tell this tuner is a real strobe tuner, because you can see harmonic content in the strobe pattern, and not a virtual strobe like most every other tuner out there I've looked at barring the real expensive Peterson models. Albeit the display doesn't supply as much feedback as say an old Conn Stobotuner. But this is probably a more limitation of the display size and doesn't affect the accuracy of the tuner for fundamental notes which is most likely better than an old Conn. I really don't see a need for reading complex harmonic content unless you are tuning a piano or pipe organ or building steel drums etc. The great thing is getting a tuner of this accuracy that will fit in my guitar case. For such a simple looking tuner, It has everything I think I'll ever need as a guitarist. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another. Lastly, I hope Sonic Research will expand on this technology to make a bench model with even more features.