Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-122
Submitted: January 8th, 2007
by pipedwho
When connected inline there doesn't appear to be much tone suckage, but I'm sure the purists out there would prefer to run it in a loop of some sort just to be sure.
It feels pretty sturdy, but isn't in the same league as something like my Boss TU-2 pedal tuner. I definitely wouldn't want to put this on the floor at risk of being stepped on. But, overall it seems at least as good, if not better construction-wise than the Boss TU-12.
General Comments
I've used MANY other tuners over the last 20 years and this one is the fastest and most accurate by far (although I haven't owned a Peterson tuner). The LED display is clear and the auto mode is extremely fast at finding the right note - way faster than the Boss and Korg units I own. One other thing worth noting is that this thing is super sensitive. I can leave it on the floor in a relatively noisy room and tune my acoustic while standing up. In fact, it's so sensitive and stable that I rarely bother to plug guitars into it and just use it's inbuilt mic. It doesn't have an audible alert, but it is so clearly visible with it's rotating LEDs even in shaded sunlight. (In direct sunlight you can't really see the LEDs, but a hand shading it is all it needs to be visible again.) For the price this goes for and the features it offers, I'm yet to find another tuner that comes close. A few months ago I was GASsing for a Peterson, but this has me completely satisfied.