Samick YB5639 5 String Bass (Artist Series)
Submitted: August 30th, 2017
by Mr_Mahogany_Wood
As most mid-priced basses go, this one is right there with the best of them....easily surpassing most Ibanez Soundgears, MTDs, or Sterling Ray Series, it is very clear and articulate.  Built to deliver that midrange boost that most funk/TP players like but still you can dial up a convincing P-Bass thickness as well.  I'm impressed.  Most of my testing was using Crate 220 BXH driving a Fender Bassman 210 cab w/Eminence Speakers.
Bought it used online from a small music chain in Carolina.  Everything is solid on it, finish has held up well.  Manufactured in 1996.  She's a tough old bird.
I remember these selling new in the 90's for around $600.00  I purchased this on for $51.00 plus shipping.  Well worth it : )
General Comments
I saw this on Ebay and this 5 string is the twin sister to my Samick YB530-FL Fretless that I own.  I own a Fender P Bass, a Fender Jazz Bass, a Sterling Ray 35 and a Dean Hollywood Z.  I have played some of everything in my 40 years of playing.  This is quickly becoming my go to funk/fusion machine. This guitar has a definite feel and resemblance to any of the Ibanez SR series basses but maintains just enough individual character to keeo it different from the other 4.  I have to say this...of the handful of reviews I've seen of this instrument, many describe it as crap because it's made by Samick not realizing the many major companies including Fender and Gibson import guitars from Samick.  They play and perform just fine.This thing is just a pickup change away from sounding like a high end model or boutique bass.  I also find that most of the players who protest the most in writing or on youtube have less then admirable chops and I find it really hard to take a reviewer serious when he can't play.....just sayin'.  I love this bass.  Ergonomically well balanced and not too heavy.
I am a music educator, professional performer and studio owner.  I've been playing bass for about 40 years.