roland MKS-70
Submitted: August 21st, 2001
by Brock Walters
There are some sounds this thing makes that CAN NOT be reproduced on other gear. It's just WEIRD. It's like the perfect digital/analog hybrid. Contrary to what others have said, I actually like several of the factory sounds & have used them A LOT. So have countless record producers, in fact, I can think of 2 huge albums off the top of my head on which this synth's factory sounds are featured: Michael Jackson's 'Off The Wall' & that stupid song from 'Top Gun' by Berlin called 'Take My Breath Away'. Think of the bass line... Can you hear it? :) Also, just about EVERY 'Yellowjackets' record. Russel Ferrante has been using this synth since it came out.
i bought mine from a music store where it had been a floor model. The buttons have held up well over the years, but i have never, ever taken out on gigs & moved it around a lot. It's too precious.
General Comments
i would have to replace it if it were gone. i bought it a LONG time ago & at the time what i paid was about 1/3 of retail i think. It sounds unique & is really part of what I sound like even though i don't use it as much as i would like to because it is slightly inconvenient to lug around, & potentially dangerous. i always find myself gravitating toward it's samples on all the Roland JV expansion cards.